Monday 5 November 2007

LIVE REVIEW :: ANTON BARBEAU : PAT “THE JAZZ BUTCHER” FISH


Current mood: TROOPY DOOPY....
Category: TROOPY DOOPY.... Music




I've told you before of the trials and torments of being a music writer...

I've detailed the hell of recieving 4 or 5 free cds a week, the SHEER PAIN of free gig and club tickets, the horrible times spent amidst musical genies, the queue jumping, the stinking celeb ridden after-parties, the free gifts etc etc..

I know you've all wept and lit candles for me in the church, and I'm completely sure our shared personal hell can only be compounded when I tell you that Wednesday night I had no option but to attend a free gig in the company of 3 beautiful women.

Yes boss, I was lying on the sofa in the hours before I left Fort Giovanna to see Anton Barbeau, knowing I was once again up against it - that God was a true and bad cunt, who was forever dealing me a rough hand.

I'm not joking. I felt like Tom Cruise hanging off a rope, the prize gone and some evil suited shit about to cut him loose to realise an ALMOST CERTAIN DEATH!!!

Why??

Well, the week of benders had known no borders or bounds and it was threatening to spoil things:

Monday Night: Gay Rum. 5am dancing and sliding around the house with key members of the Casa Giovanna Familia.

Tuesday Morning: Trousers blistered and ruined. Two broken glasses. I ached like a weightlifter. The neighbours hate me AND I still can't knee slide as well as Prince!!??

Tuesday Night: Another 5am finish. Hundreds of weak beer. More chewed fat than a week of 24 hour news...

"I DON'T THINK I'M GONNA BE ABLE TO MAKE IT!!!" I fretted.

dead
and
burried....

So what happenned next???

Well, like Tim Tom Cruise, I pulled through.

Yes boss, when the rope was cut, I found I had a secret parachute and an unbreakable body, and with the aid of a further 5 Carlsbergs, I made it to the rendezvous at The Phoenix Bar for 8.45pm feeling just about normal and rather happy..))

The Phoenix Bar is attached to the Phoenix Theatre. It's a private members bar, but if you flip your scarf over your shoulder, in the manner of a fey and hugely talented actor, you can get in minus membership without a problem.

It was there that I met up with the Ladies.

Now please don't think I was philandering like the cad I pretend to be. No boss, this was business. I don't hang around with groupies or harridans, I hang around with dedicated and professional writers, musicians and PR people. We talk business, readership figures, the future of music. Great words are said. Huge concepts unpacked and genius ideas formulated that will doubtlessly save the musical world from a 24th Oasis LP...

So, onto the venue then...

The 12 Bar Club is a wonderful venue. It's cavernous, dark, dank - just the kind of place made for smoking indoors - the kind of place that's gonna stink to high heaven before the year's out, unless all punters are issued with a can of deoderant on the way in and the last 50 years of wall-fag-filth-dirt are scraped away..

And the music??

Well, we arrived on the minute of
Anton Barbeaus set. I'd been sent his shiny new album (out now on Shifty Disco) and enjoyed it..

Specifically, I like the kind and easy nature of his music. There's elements of the overly hippy woolly acoustic, but Barbeau doesn't annoy me like some other fluffies. His lyrics are better, his stage manner is fun. The band enjoy themselves. He's a good guy, I liked his style and so did the crowd...

For my sins, I missed most of
Mr Fish. I was networking (important ideas, plans, parties, bullshit) But with the ladies hovering back towards Brighton before last orders, I took a seat on the balcony and saw him finish.

A man with a guitar. A man feeling the music, reminding me why I no longer play it and why I never should have done so to begin with...

So there...


Currently listening :
Automatic Door
By Anton Barbeau
Release date: By 16 October, 2007

20:20 - 11 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Clinker

And to think when I met you, you didn't once say "yes boss"

Keep it up Boss!

;)

P

Posted by Clinker on Thursday, October 25, 2007 at 23:00
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

You've made a very good point...

I never say 'Yes boss' in real life - I think I'm about the only person in London who doesn't...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Thursday, October 25, 2007 at 23:26
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Purveyor of Nothing

how do you 'blister' your trousers ?(and dont u DARE say by sliding across the floor Prince style on your knees) I just wondered what sort of material they were.Not shellsuity beauties I hope XD xxx

Posted by Purveyor of Nothing on Thursday, October 25, 2007 at 23:17
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

By sliding across the floor Prince style on my knees...

Seriously..!

It's much harder than it looks..

The trousers are polycotton - I could feel the burning on my knees and was amazed to see the bubbles and one cut - I need some more heavy duty trizzers...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Thursday, October 25, 2007 at 23:28
[Remove] [Reply to this]


caroline

lol...... entertaining as usual... thanks for this! I listened to a couple of songs on barbeaus profile... it bores me... the sound is way to squeaky clean, it's weak, wack, whatever. ... maybe live it's better...
just curious, do you know adem? (http://www.myspace.com/ademofficial ) he's from london. let me know what you think of his music, please, if you have the time, anyways....
best from switzerland, caroline

Posted by caroline on Friday, October 26, 2007 at 00:20
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Well, sometimes this kind of thing really irritates me, but I liked this guy...

I don't know Adem. I'll take a look..))

p)

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, October 26, 2007 at 00:33
[Remove] [Reply to this]


caroline

great! let me know.......

Posted by caroline on Friday, October 26, 2007 at 00:47
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Cynthia Rose

You "networked" instead of listening to Pat Fish?

Cretin!

Posted by Cynthia Rose on Friday, October 26, 2007 at 13:50
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Next time I'll know...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 at 16:34
[Remove] [Reply to this]


simon

Ah Caroline if you want to read a review of this gig by one of the people Paul didn't network with at the 12 bar then take a look at my blog for my version of events!!

Posted by simon on Friday, October 26, 2007 at 19:48
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Yeah. I networked with everyone except Simon and Pat Fish...

I was going like a friggin damn flying filofax that night!!!!

(but I'm still not rich)

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 at 16:35
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: