Thursday 15 November 2007

NOTES ON FILM PT3 ::: SEEING THE WORK


Current mood: AIN’T GOING....
Category: AIN’T GOING.... Movies, TV, Celebrities



Just recently I realised I'd retired from working in film...

Yes boss, with the exception of watching some of the finished products, I've had nothing to do with the whole game for a few months, and I now know I have absolutely no intention of getting back involved unless a vast and unconditional ammount of money is involved...

Thing was, I never planned on starting in film at all, and though that first year or two of casual involvement was interesting, I now find the whole set up to be completely and utterly dull...

The long and short of it is that doing a good job in film (Art Department/Directing) means signing your life away to about the same extent as becoming a soldier.

Meanwhile doing a bad job (Extra/Runner) is simply a shit way to spend time for little or no money....

Furthermore, writing for film just isn't going to work for me because I've never known there to be one fucker (whether they be an actor, producer or director) who can keep their filthy paws off the script - and if I ever have to deal with that kind of meddling and sticky-beaking, I WILL KILL PEOPLE!!

Essentially, film is all about compromise, teamwork and collective responsibility and I hate all 3. For good or ill, I'm into the individual, the anti-social and I love being a pain in the ass and not fitting in with the group....


Perhaps the final straw for this decision, was that I re-watched the film Cashback
- the film i believed to be the best thing I'd had anything to do with - and found it to be mostly completely and utterly awful.

I mean sure, some of the camera work holds up, and the scenes with me lurking in the background are obviously superb!! But the script itself is dreadfully badly done and the editing seemingly non-existent and from initially seeing it as being a pretty good piece of work, I now see the whole charade as being the classic example of someone who's known nothing but success - getting found out.

Yes boss, when I did the 4 days of extras on that number, I saw the director as being the mythical boy wonder...

Sean Ellis is about my age and completely loaded with success. He's done fashion photography and photographed the best and gone to the top! He's done commercials - the best and to the top!!! And then he met the Director David Lynch for a photoshoot (so the story goes) and was inspired to follow into his footsteps...

Now, I have no problem with success, indeed I used the 4 days I was on that set to watch Mr Big and the others and I learnt plenty from everyone there - but the film still stinks...

Perhaps I'm being harsh. Cashback is afterall a starter for ten and a half hour nip and tuck together with some decent script revisions could see it be good. But Eraserhead was also a debut, and the difference in quality between the two is immense. Cashback (the Short Film Version) was however nominated for the Oscar for Best Short Film and Eraserhead wasn't...

Anyway, this retirement means I have once again failed to escape from straight ahead writing....


Currently watching :
Eraserhead (Limited Edition Collector’s Box Set)

21:22 - 8 Comments - 6 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Clinker

I wanna hear the radiator song...and i want to hear it now! I'm freaked just thinking about it.

Posted by Clinker on Monday, November 12, 2007 at 00:32
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

What - this one???

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Monday, November 12, 2007 at 00:34
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Clinker

Oh fucking hell. Just as freaky as I remember it.

HBope this works...

Posted by Clinker on Monday, November 12, 2007 at 01:25
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I read a very good interview with Mr Black today in Stool Pigeon...

He talked a lot of sense - particularly about festivals and the inability of todays audiences to deal with complicated bands...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Monday, November 12, 2007 at 01:29
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Mog Hartley

I've never seen Eraserhead. Is it worth it or will I be dissapointed?

Posted by Mog Hartley on Monday, November 12, 2007 at 01:01
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

It's probably the single most disturbing film I've ever seen...

Forget gorey gumdrop movies - Lynch's films always disturb me on a far deeper level...

So, if you like to be disturbed and/or can admire the beauty of such an enclosed world being produced on no money over a 5 year period give it a go....

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Monday, November 12, 2007 at 01:03
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Clinker

I second that. It is seriously one of the most disturbing uncomfortable films you're ever likely to see, which i've realised is almost exactly what Paul said.

It is a must see movie, even if you don't like it. It's one that you have to watch again and again, hoping to discover more (and you always do).

I've got to go to bed now and i'm going to have nightmares about that radiator girl. I will check behind the radiators first though!

Maybe Tomoko will have become her (she reminds me of the cover of the Blue Jam CD).

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

night night.

Posted by Clinker on Monday, November 12, 2007 at 01:52
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I've only watched it the once and then I found it difficult to finish...

I've got it on DVD now - It's probably about time I watched it again...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Monday, November 12, 2007 at 09:00
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: