Thursday 15 November 2007

ALBUM REVIEW ::: PATTIE BLINGH - SAGALA


Current mood: remains so..
Category: remains so.. Music



PATTIE BLINGH - SAGALA
Ramp Recordings
Released 25th June 2007


Thus far it's been rare for me to get too very excited about the stuff I've been sent for free. There's been a few that have stood out: The Deadbeat LP The Marcelo Radulovich tripple set and more recently T-Toes Brasstronica LP, but most of the rest has either been bad or average..

Well, I'm pleased to say that this fresh effort by Pattie Blingh is right up there in champions corner...

Sagala kind of crept out at me. It was one of those times when I wasn't really concentrating. In fact, I find that to be the best time to review and objectify new stuff. If you sit there for too long and concentrate, and concentrate, and read the press release and concentrate, all you're going to get is exactly what it says on the press release..

So, what is this?

Well take 1 part Miss Dynamite, 1 part low jazz rumble, I part Gravediggaz and a whole bunch of scarce randomness and you're getting close.

It leaps about. It stops

....it starts, it runnnssss, and saunters - sometimes it piles up..


Well, it's now 4 months since I wrote the above, and Sagala is still on my phone, regularly getting played, and still sounding fresh...

I was going to finish this piece as I did the first time with 'I'm looking forward to more...' but in checking for evidence of more, found the following notice

'We regret to inform you that Pattie Blingh has been assasinated, Sagala will sadly be the first and last album from Pattie Blingh..'

More research suggests Pattie Blingh is a pseudonym of
Georgia Anne Muldrow and as far as I can work out, it's the pseudonym that's dead rather than it's creator...




Currently listening :
Pattie Blingh: Sagala
By Georgia Anne Muldrow
Release date: 08 May, 2007

No comments: