Wednesday 28 November 2007

SAVE CAMDEN???


Current mood: CONTRO-THOUGHTFUL...
Category: CONTRO-THOUGHTFUL... Music




Located central north central London, the
Borough of Camden
is a veritable feast of bright young things, scuzzy fashion and more wannabe BIG bands per square inch than The NME will ever know..

Yes boss, on Sundays the streets of the 'den are thronged with hopeless young folk who think they're radical and OUT THERE!!!! and in the week it's a lot quieter..

Now, I really don't mind the place at night when the bands are playing rather than lounging around salubrious haunts like
The Good Mixer
or The Hawley Arms, trying to look good, but on Tuesday I happenned to be in the Stable Market area of Camden in the day time and I found myself thinking uncharitable thoughts..

Yes boss, though in the days of the ace bookshop
Compendium
and vivid road parties, I used to visit Camden reasonably frequently, I now generally only go there under duress, or to see excellent bands of an evening and during my visit on Tuesday, I fully understood why...

Basically, Camden is all about hustle, about following trends and making alt.money and all this combined, makes it a most unsettling place to stand around casually and watch folk go about and by their daily business..

I kid you not. As, I was standing around waiting for Mrs G (who was as she characteristly does) keeping a ten pace backward browsing gap, I was trying to amuse myself with scenes of London life, but was completely unable to find any kind of aloof sanctuary from which to observe the world and it's folk....

No boss, in Camden there was nowhere I stood where I didn't soon suffer one of the following inconveniences to concentration..

1) Hustle from a food stall owner
2) Hustle from a trendy market stall holder
3) Hustle from a fake/low quality drug dealer
4) Eye hustle from Police who thought I was a fake/low quality drug dealer

It was a complete bind. I mean Oxford Street is much, much busier and Brixton (outside the tube) far scarrier, but there's nowhere with a greater relentless hustle of alt.business than Camden...

It's for this reason and others that I find myself unable to support the
Save Camden Stables Market!
campiagn..

Yes boss, apparently plans are afoot to knock down large portions of the market and turn it into yuppie flats etc.

Now I know yuppie flats have a bad press and are a pain in the arse to everyone who doesn't live in them, but I do live in one and I know for a fact that they're really quite nice.

I mean, sure the neighbours are mostly cunts, the rent is too high, they cost a fortune to heat and light, the service charges are excessive, you have to walk a mile to get your friggin mail from the regimented pigeon slots, you feel constant guilt when you see the 24 hour security guard, the porter and the corridor cleaner etc etc - but everywhere has it's minuses..


I mean Jesus, do all those bands that hang around Camden trying to get famous do so, so they can live in squats and eat cats for a living?? No they don't! They all want to be fantastically rich, live in palaces and be adored by all and why the hell not??

If anything, I feel that Camden becoming yuppified isn't so much a problem as a question of destiny. I swear to god there's not a more enterprising area in London - there's business every which way you look and everyone's on the hustle - so what better place to build yuppie flats...???

So I say bury Camden and GET THOSE FLATS BUILT NOW!!


Currently listening :
Music Has The Right To Children
By Boards of Canada
Release date: By 23 March, 2004

22:55 - 10 Comments - 4 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Ren

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

...and then sell the flats off cheap to key workers.

Posted by Ren on Friday, November 16, 2007 at 00:26
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Do I qualify as a key worker???

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, November 16, 2007 at 00:35
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Ren

YES, NURSE GIOVANNI - YOU CERTAINLY DO....

Posted by Ren on Friday, November 16, 2007 at 00:40
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

GREAT!!! I'd like a 3 bed flat with an inbuilt bar and a swimming pool and gym somewhere on site....

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, November 16, 2007 at 00:45
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Purveyor of Nothing

bury all the trendy coffee bars with their owners under the foundations,I say.Camden is far removed from the London Irish area it used 2 b

Posted by Purveyor of Nothing on Saturday, November 17, 2007 at 11:15
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Clinker

Camden was alright 10 years ago, but it jut gets seedier and seedier. More and more crack and heroin addicts.

The Stable market should be saved though. Thats one of the better parts.

Posted by Clinker on Friday, November 16, 2007 at 10:57
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

The rampant commerce has always been there, but it now seems to be ALL there is their...

My problem with the whole set up is that I don't like people in my face and there were endless people in my face in The Stables Market area...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, November 16, 2007 at 11:02
[Remove] [Reply to this]


KvKvG

i dont see the point in bands hanging around camden, trying to figure out what is cool or not when that service is provided everyday at 6.30 on channel 4. god bless hollyoaks. just follow the adventures of fletch and his band. from his experencies i know that i need a waistcoat and a trilby to make it big. oh and according to c4 you now cant be in a band unless you have a shit-hot mobile. so im off to gloucester market to buy some stolen crap.
see you on transmission motherfuckers!!!

Posted by KvKvG on Friday, November 16, 2007 at 16:16
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Maybe you should call The NME and get them to add a trilby or Pork Pie Hat to that front cover you're proudly using as your profile shot - I can't believe you haven't been following your own advice??!!

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, November 16, 2007 at 17:22
[Remove] [Reply to this]


KvKvG

yeah, i did want a trilby. but as you can imagine, i cant wear a hat and spit at the same time, and their was talk of lilly allen joining me for the photo session.
she came in with her dad, he took one look at me and said 'you aint cuddling up to that!'
i spat at him then said " ive seen shallow grave...i know how you dont size up... and that john barnes rap was shit as well!"

Posted by KvKvG on Friday, November 16, 2007 at 21:20
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: