Thursday 8 November 2007

WHAT’S ALL THIS WITH MR GROHL????


Current mood: TRUNCHONESQUE
Category: TRUNCHONESQUE Music



BLIMEY!!!

I don't think I've had so many outraged responses to a Bulletin as I've just had for saying something to the effect that Dave Grohl should RETIRE, take out a pension in the Dominican Republic and stop making bleeding awful and unimaginative records to great acclaim...

Suggested reasons to like him have included:

Because he's a nice guy
Because he was in Nirvana
Together with various strains of disbelief as to why anyone should ever want to take a jab at him..

Well here's the news...

Roger Taylor from Queen is probably a nice guy, but he's had the good sense to not release a shit load of average LPs since his main band split up..

Furthermore there should be no NICE GUYS in ROCK 'N' ROLL!!

ROCK 'N' ROLLERS should be out and out arseholes to a man!! THEY SHOULD EAT BATS AND SHIT IN HANDBAGS!!!!

PERIOD

But music is what this is all about, and Grohl is an average bandsmen who ended up in a great band. Since that band expired, he's done nothing of any serious worth and I'm willing to bet he never will...

Jesus, what next?? The 'There ARE honest men in politics routine'???

Kind Regards
The artist temporarily known as PC WANKA


Currently listening :
Nevermind
By Nirvana
Release date: By 24 September, 1991

19:37 - 42 Comments - 11 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Kendra

YOUR CRAZY! DAVE GROHL IS AWESOME! Foo Fighters ROCK on!

Posted by Kendra on Friday, November 02, 2007 at 20:18
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

The Foo Fighters are as boring as a train timetable...

They'll be completely forgotten in 20 years time and Mr Grohl will be remembered as the drummer in a good band...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, November 02, 2007 at 20:28
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Purveyor of Nothing

I've gotta say I'm slightly debased by it,and I'm a complete arsehole 2 all and sundry:)

Posted by Purveyor of Nothing on Friday, November 02, 2007 at 20:24
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

What on earth are you talking about??

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, November 02, 2007 at 20:29
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Purveyor of Nothing

I find the idea of having a pop at the grohlster 2 b unsettling 2 say the least.I guess I'm pretty srtaight laced when all said and done.And as regards only being remembered 4 his role in Nirvans,The foos probably have more LPs than Nirvana did by now (I said LPs...proves what an old git I am) Dont forget his roles in the Queens of the stone age and Tenacious D.His videos are brilliant.He doesnt give a shit about sending himself up,and to say Roger Taylor was a good bloke,its just NOT THE SAME even tho' Roger Taylor was a truro School Boy (OGGY OGGY OGGY).I@M waffling,and this has probably all gone out of proportion but I reckon not liking Dave Grohl has 2 b your latest publicity stunt...and it worked...lol! :D

Posted by Purveyor of Nothing on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 00:41
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I just get tired of seeing him here there and everywhere. I'm currently in the process of writing out a set of rules for pop...

One of these wil be that all bands HAVE to split up 5 years to the day that the band name is decided...

Failure to do so will result in loosing a finger, or maybe a hand...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 00:44
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Clinker

Wouldn't this mean our beloved They came from the stars, I saw them would have to split!!!!!?????

you slipped up there.

Posted by Clinker on Monday, November 05, 2007 at 01:18
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Yes it would mean that, but if the 5 year rule was in place, any decent band or artist would find a good and inventive way to circumvent it...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Monday, November 05, 2007 at 09:45
[Remove] [Reply to this]


stacy

hehehe...i could give a fuck less about Dave Grohl...as i said before, i was curious of your angst. good job again;-)

Posted by stacy on Friday, November 02, 2007 at 20:31
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

She hit town like a rose in bloom
Smellin' sweet, said sweet perfume
The color faded the petals died
Down in the city no one cried
In the streets the garbage lies
Protected by a million flies
The roaches so big you know that they got bones
Moved in and made a tenement home, I said


Nice boys don't play rock and roll
Nice boys don't play rock and roll
I'm not a nice boy!


Sweet sixteen she was fresh and clean
Wanted so bad to be part of the scene
She met the man and she did the smack
Paid the price layin' flat on her back
Wanted so bad just to please the boys
They ended up just being a toy
Played so hard she burned her life away
Lies were told but no promises made
You know,


Nice boys don't play rock and roll
Nice boys don't play rock and roll
I'm not a nice boy!
And I never was


Young and fresh when she hit town
Hot for kicks just to get herself around
Now she lays in a filthy room
Kills the pain with a flick and a spoon
In the streets the garbage lies
Protected by a million flies
You know the roaches so big
You know that they got bones
Moved in and made a tenement home

Nice boys don't play rock and roll
Nice boys don't play rock and roll
Nice boys don't play rock and roll
Nice boys don't play rock and roll
Nice boys don't play rock and roll
Na Na Na Na Na Na, baby
Nice boys don't play rock and roll
Nice boys don't play rock and roll
I'll bet your mamma said, Nice boys don't play rock and roll
Nice boys don't play rock and roll
Nice boys don't play rock and roll
Nice boys don't play rock and roll
Nice boys don't play rock and roll
Nice boys

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, November 02, 2007 at 20:35
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Clinker

Just for the record, I think you're wrong about Mr Grohl. He's a talented fucker.

Nice guys in rock? Some are, some aren't. Not all talent are arseholes. You should know that, working with Horton and company. Character is maybe more what is needed.

If being an arsehole is what music is about, my opinions on Razorlight are way off the mark.

Posted by Clinker on Friday, November 02, 2007 at 22:11
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Once again we disagree....)

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, November 02, 2007 at 22:14
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Mr Razorlight isn't an arsehole he's simply a tosser...

What I mean is that the very nature of the job (done well) requires a massive ammount of selfish behaviour and niceness doesn't come into the equation...

There are plenty of arseholes who can be equisivitly charming when called on to be - but to be at the top of any game, complete selfishness is required - I believe that to be a stone cold fact...

I'm also still waiting for someone to tell me where the good and truly innovative Foo Fighters tracks are????

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 00:00
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Clinker

Yea I can see your point. Its Ego. You need a huge ego. An arrogant belief even. I don't call those people arseholes though. Some people would.

There are no innovative Foo Fighters tracks. I just like them for good melodies. It's dumbass feelgood music, but I like it, like it, yes I do!

Agreeing and disagreeing on music is healthy:)

There are very few true innovators out there. Theres a link to most things from somewhere else.

Posted by Clinker on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 20:14
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Sure, true innovators are few and far between. I certainly don't begrudge Grohl a ten year bask with an average band, but how much longer can it go on???

What happenned to bands who hated each other so much by the end of 5 years they would have to kill or split??? I guess they reform ten years later, make payola and only ever see one another for that hour or so on stage...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 20:24
[Remove] [Reply to this]


DANX GROD!

I am guessing that if Roger Taylor released an album, it would not do as well as Mr Grohl's would.

After all, it is the music BUSINESS.

And just cause you don't like Dave or his band, that doesn't mean he sucks.

I personally don't like country music, but it sells, and lots of people love it.

Go figure...

Cheers!

Posted by DANX GROD! on Friday, November 02, 2007 at 22:27
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Just because I don't like Mr Grohl does mean he sucks according to me.

But I'm only talking opinion here and not empirical facts..

This said, I will happily take bets that in the year 2050, Mr Grohls place in the importance of music will revolve around his role with Nirvana and nothing else...

I repeat: The Foo Fighters are a nothing special workaday rock band and if they didn't have a former member of Nirvana contained within they'd have been long gone already...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, November 02, 2007 at 23:52
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Colossus

One By One.

By this album by the Foo's. It's the ONLY one I wish I had.

Got the first one instead which is essentially Dave on his own after Nirvana making a stand and saying 'I will continue after Kurt'.

Which is no bad thing except bands are always more interesting in thier output than musicians let loose in the studio to play EVERYTHING (Trust a man whose learnt this the hard way)!

If Kurt had lived many Foo songs would have been under the Nirvana banner.

Fact.

Grohl wrote Scentless Aprentice (Second song off Inutero).

Grohl is essentially the McCartney to Kurts Lennon but from all accounts wasn't able to have a proper songwrting parnership with Cobain because he was too much of a worker bee to feel he should actually kurb the songwriting. He also had to consider the fact that Kurt was especially in the solo songwriter mode when InUtero came around to recording.

Kurt wrote the songs when he had a month or so off tour...if only he had lived then the music he was afraid of losing it's charm would have benifited greatly from the objective craftsmens like eye of Grohl.

Listen closely to the L.P your saying your listening to now man. On Nevermind (and I have read about it in many a book about it's realisation) the backing vox, rhythm and the structure are NOT just down to Kurt.

Without Grohl Nevermind would not have earned him the place in history that your saying he has .

Yes, Grohl in the year 2050 will be remembered for Nirvana first and the Foo's second.

No, Grohl has not been nothing more than an average musician outstaying his welcome.

Listen to One By One.

It simply isnt just about Kurt. Give the Foo's another chance based on this info alone and you'll find that you may have to eat humble pie!

Spider of COLOSSUS xx

P.S Your wrong about NICE guys in rock and roll. It's BLANDNESS that is our enemy (for the record Dave isn't bland or NICE).

Posted by Colossus on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 00:49
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Well to be honest I don't know too much about who did what with Nirvana other than they were all central to the sound of the band and no-one member could have been easily replaced...

(DO YOU HEAR ME COURTNEY - PAY THEM SOME FUCKING MONEY WHY DON'T YOU??)

I've just never liked anythign the Foos have done. It's too polite for my liking...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 01:03
[Remove] [Reply to this]


DANX GROD!

I'll have to disgagree with you.

You can say the same thing about the Who (nothing special workaday rock band).

Then again, maybe you don't like the Who.

I am sure that the Foos will be remembered as a great rock band in 50 years time.

As much as Bill Haley and the Comets, or Blood, Sweat and Tears (who???)

I don't think they became popular because of Grohl's participation in Nirvana; but I do think that helped get them through some doors that may have been harder to open if not for Nirvana.

I'll see what you have to say in 2050, mister!

PS What do you think of Queens of the Stone Age?

Posted by DANX GROD! on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 00:26
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

You're right I've always disliked The Who and Queens of The Stone Age don't float me much either..

The Who are only still known because they were active in the classic era of rock - when it was still under development. Trouble for The Foos is that Rock has been pretty static for a while now - it's my opinion that this current era will be known for electronic and dance acts...

Synthesis is the sound since 1980...

Straight ahead rock isn't really my bag all told - I guess that's obvious...

Disagreeing ain't bad anyway...))

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 00:37
[Remove] [Reply to this]


DANX GROD!

Have you heard the Queens of the Stone Age album Songs for the Deaf?

That is reeeeeaaaallllyy good.

If you haven't listened to it, you should.

Cheers!

Posted by DANX GROD! on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 02:03
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I've heard one of theirs but I don't remember the name without backtracking - I'll take a look...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 02:05
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Clinker

It seems you're pretty outnumbered. Foos second album is a pop masterpiece. QOTSA Songs for the Deaf a rock masterpiece. The Who, one of the most telepathically solid bands with amazing tunes with social commentary like never before (INNOVATORS!!!).

I think you make decisions without properly listening sometimes Paul.

Personal taste...yeah, but thats why I dont like Elvis Costello but still can see his worth.

To reiterate Collosus, just how big were Nirvana before Grohl joined.

Are you just trying to render guitars redundant?

Posted by Clinker on Monday, November 05, 2007 at 01:15
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I go on feel as much as anything and I've never felt from anything I've seen or heard that The Foos or QOSA are important...

Of course I've not seen and heard everything either act has done, but you can't hear everything and I've never felt like I want to hear anymore from these acts and with so much stuff I do want to hear I'm going to resent them even more if I TRY to like them..

I'm not trying to be empirical or scientific with my analysis - only spouting my opinions about what I personally like and dislike and thereby provoking some debate...

Occasionally guitars have a role, but it is time they were left behind. I don't understand why people persist with them when the synthesis options are so much more exciting??

PS: I'm not a fan of Costello either as it goes - we agree on this one...)

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Monday, November 05, 2007 at 09:44
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Colossus

Look at the comments above...wanna know your thought on my rantings.

Spider xx

Posted by Colossus on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 00:51
[Remove] [Reply to this]


stephen w.k.

nice guy? the man clearly flaunted the law here in australia back in 2000 when he was ARRESTED FOR DRUNK DRIVING... backstage on a moped after the big day out concert. ROCK AND ROLL!!!

anyways, my two cents: first two Foo Fighters LPs were awesome, everything since has been bunk. goes to further my previous contentious post a few months ago about every band (i.e. new order) being stupid after their first few years of awesomeness... and i copped a shitload of abuse on your blog for this stance then.

probot were fun tho, as was his stuff with QOTSA... and the whole foo fighters/aids conspiracy thing is RAD.

anyways, try bagging out new order for being too old/drugfucked/greedy to retire if you really wanna raise the ire of your readers...

Posted by stephen w.k. on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 01:21
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Joy Division could well be next on the list...

I heard a great comment from Peter Hook about this godawful Wombats song about Joy Divison...

It was something to the effect that the Wombats should be singing about Moncao in this day and age, not the no-longer bleak streets of Manchester

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 01:44
[Remove] [Reply to this]


stephen w.k.

i thought ian curtis effectively retired?

Posted by stephen w.k. on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 01:47
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I think he took the 5 year rule a touch too seriously...
RIP

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 01:54
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Purveyor of Nothing

Good.I thought for a minute you'd given up the Grohl-baiting and considered having a pop at Ian Curtis,as you were on a roll.Johnny Borrell is a complete tosser,but they were good with the metal detectors in The Mighty Boosh,werent they.They didnt have to do it.Also what about Roger Daltrey hoovering.Its all a bit of a media -whore love-in I know,but The Who are my absolute heroes so I'm Biased.And I dont think they've lost it at all.Pete Townsend still swings his arm round even if he doesnt do the full scissor kicks,but they are at pensionable age for christsake.When all said...I do actually know what you mean about Dave grohl,the fact that you're a bit bored of him.Perhaps he should just have a career change.I could see him on a science or history programme.I reckon he'd do a great job,and retain your interest.

Posted by Purveyor of Nothing on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 02:17
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I've only seen the very first episode of The Mighty Boosh so haven't had the pleasure of Borrell etc al...

With The Who, I liked the idea of Tommy, but found the finished product tedious.

I'd like to see Grohl working as a zoo keeper. I can see him in the overalls and the peaked cap feeding the Llamas...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 02:23
[Remove] [Reply to this]


stephen w.k.

the boosh gets better, much much better than the first episode... have a look at the 'tundra' episode, for real.

Posted by stephen w.k. on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 06:18
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Yeah The Boosh has been on my list for a while...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 12:26
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Purveyor of Nothing

I'd like that actually.He could put on a rolf harris accent and get all tearful and sensitive.No,i suggested the science/history programme purely cos I love the white tie/ black shirt ensemble,and thought he could keep it for that.Everyone must buy the boosh box set or better still,have someone buy u it for christmas.i promise,you wont b disappointed. Yes, Tommy (the end product) was a bit tedious,but dont try to kid me you didn't like the woman writhing in baked beans that had come out of a washing machine in string flares. I take it you've seen Quadrophenia? Worth seeing if just 2 hear the music.Plus sting does some strange dancing.Its supposed to be swish but its like Rutger Hauer crossed with Frank Spencer...and when Phil Daniels discovers hes the Bell Boy. Oh I nearly forgot.There is a disturbing scene at the start where hes in the bath and you can see everything.Ugghhh! Theres nothing more disgusting than the old meat and two veg floating around like a turd...lol:D

Posted by Purveyor of Nothing on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 02:59
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I'd watch Tommy again - when i saw it, my tastes were a touch serious..

Why do women hate the sight of a mans tackle??? That's something I've never understood...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 12:25
[Remove] [Reply to this]


KvKvG

i like the first foos album and some of the second. but compared to nirvana, they are hanson.
it would be nice if every band wanted to be vital, but most want coke.
it would be nice if every band quit while they were ahead, but what do you do with that massive, underserved ego? Remember when manic street preachers promised they would implode after their first album, because all great bands should? what happened to that promise?
If every band followed he simple rule, quit while your still good. we would have more to listen to than the stones, beatles, nirvana and radiohead (who probally should of quit about 4 weeks ago).

Most of the new bands out at the moment are meare cogs in the distruction of moden music. we are drowning in shit c.ds. crap albums out weigh good albums 100/1. what can be done about it?

Posted by KvKvG on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 14:45
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

It's a good point is - What else can they do??? To be fair many musicians have no other discernible talents - at least none that make money and keep them out of trouble and off the streets..

As to what can be done?? Nothing that i know of. Myspazzz certainly isn't the answer...

Oh and for the record I want coke, but I object to paying £40/50 a gram for it. I'd like to see the price crash to about a tenner a gram and then I'd be an addict...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 15:12
[Remove] [Reply to this]


KvKvG

yeah, id rather spend my 45 on a q. or maybe some good DMT. coke is nice, but if i spend that amount of money on a drug then i wanna feel like my arm has spent four weeks in a balloon. if i wanted to feel nice, i would exfoliate, with an organic scrubing mass of somthing.

Posted by KvKvG on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 16:11
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

'but if i spend that amount of money on a drug then i wanna feel like my arm has spent four weeks in a balloon'

Couldn't have put it better...))

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 18:14
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Steve | Version Sound

i've always thought he makes a pretty sexy woman. for whatever that's worth.

Posted by Steve | Version Sound on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 18:54
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

It's worth something for sure - but I can't get past his band being MOR...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 19:00
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: