Thursday 8 November 2007

WHAT I BELIEVE : BY JG BALLARD


Current mood: roving...




I believe in the power of the imagination to remake the world, to release the truth within us, to hold back the night, to transcend death, to charm motorways, to ingratiate ourselves with birds, to enlist the confidences of madmen.


I believe in my own obsessions, in the beauty of the car crash, in the peace of the submerged forest, in the excitements of the deserted holiday beach, in the elegance of automobile graveyards, in the mystery of multi-storey car parks, in the poetry of abandoned hotels.


I believe in the forgotten runways of Wake Island, pointing towards the Pacifics of our imaginations.


I believe in the mysterious beauty of Margaret Thatcher, in the arch of her nostrils and the sheen on her lower lip; in the melancholy of wounded Argentine conscripts; in the haunted smiles of filling station personnel; in my dream of Margaret Thatcher caressed by that young Argentine soldier in a forgotten motel watched by a tubercular filling station attendant.


I believe in the beauty of all women, in the treachery of their imaginations, so close to my heart; in the junction of their disenchanted bodies with the enchanted chromium rails of supermarket counters; in their warm tolerance of my perversions.


I believe in the death of tomorrow, in the exhaustion of time, in our search for a new time within the smiles of auto-route waitresses and the tired eyes of air-traffic controllers at out-of-season airports.


I believe in the genital organs of great men and women, in the body postures of Ronald Reagan, Margaret Thatcher and Princess Di, in the sweet odors emanating from their lips as they regard the cameras of the entire world.


I believe in madness, in the truth of the inexplicable, in the common sense of stones, in the lunacy of flowers, in the disease stored up for the human race by the Apollo astronauts.


I believe in nothing.


I believe in Max Ernst, Delvaux, Dali, Titian, Goya, Leonardo, Vermeer, Chirico, Magritte, Redon, Duerer, Tanguy, the Facteur Cheval, the Watts Towers, Boecklin, Francis Bacon, and all the invisible artists within the psychiatric institutions of the planet.


I believe in the impossibility of existence, in the humour of mountains, in the absurdity of electromagnetism, in the farce of geometry, in the cruelty of arithmetic, in the murderous intent of logic.


I believe in adolescent women, in their corruption by their own leg stances, in the purity of their disheveled bodies, in the traces of their pudenda left in the bathrooms of shabby motels.


I believe in flight, in the beauty of the wing, and in the beauty of everything that has ever flown, in the stone thrown by a small child that carries with it the wisdom of statesmen and midwives.


I believe in the gentleness of the surgeon's knife, in the limitless geometry of the cinema screen, in the hidden universe within supermarkets, in the loneliness of the sun, in the garrulousness of planets, in the repetitiveness or ourselves, in the inexistence of the universe and the boredom of the atom.


I believe in the light cast by video-recorders in department store windows, in the messianic insights of the radiator grilles of showroom automobiles, in the elegance of the oil stains on the engine nacelles of 747s parked on airport tarmacs.


I believe in the non-existence of the past, in the death of the future, and the infinite possibilities of the present.


I believe in the derangement of the senses: in Rimbaud, William Burroughs, Huysmans, Genet, Celine, Swift, Defoe, Carroll, Coleridge, Kafka.


I believe in the designers of the Pyramids, the Empire State Building, the Berlin Fuehrerbunker, the Wake Island runways.


I believe in the body odors of Princess Di.


I believe in the next five minutes.


I believe in the history of my feet.


I believe in migraines, the boredom of afternoons, the fear of calendars, the treachery of clocks.


I believe in anxiety, psychosis and despair.


I believe in the perversions, in the infatuations with trees, princesses, prime ministers, derelict filling stations (more beautiful than the Taj Mahal), clouds and birds.


I believe in the death of the emotions and the triumph of the imagination.


I believe in Tokyo, Benidorm, La Grande Motte, Wake Island, Eniwetok, Dealey Plaza.


I believe in alcoholism, venereal disease, fever and exhaustion.


I believe in pain.


I believe in despair.


I believe in all children.


I believe in maps, diagrams, codes, chess-games, puzzles, airline timetables, airport indicator signs.


I believe all excuses.


I believe all reasons.


I believe all hallucinations.


I believe all anger.


I believe all mythologies, memories, lies, fantasies, evasions.


I believe in the mystery and melancholy of a hand, in the kindness of trees, in the wisdom of light.


(c) J G Ballard

Currently listening :
Play the Game -- Victorian and Edwardian Sporting Songs
By Peter Savidge
Release date: By 24 August, 2004

14:18 - 23 Comments - 11 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Ethel Ivy Fitzcurmudgeon McCrone

<3>

Posted by Ethel Ivy Fitzcurmudgeon McCrone on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 14:27
[Remove] [Reply to this]


madwoman

Way cool but I don't believe you. Just kidding, maybe I do. I liked this very much. So random -- so original--brilliant even, but one bit bothered me-- the beauty of the car crashes-- now i've been involved in a lot of them-- i've driven into trees, other cars, dumpsters, fences, even on top of other cars -- luckily NO ONE ever got hurt (except the tree-- it got a scratch) but I never found them to be particularly attractive. Thank Heavens for Traffic School I should have a doctorate degree by now.........

Posted by madwoman on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 14:30
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Well they're the choices of J G Ballard and not me and I wouldn't have Car Crashes in my list..

The Thatcher bits a wierd one. I've never been able to decide if she's attractive or not..?

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 14:34
[Remove] [Reply to this]


madwoman

oops, I thought that was written by you. I didn't know which name you were going by at the moment.. how disappointing. well, yes and the reagan thing was worrisome as well......

is that you really in the ice cream cone costume then?

Posted by madwoman on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 18:07
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Yes that's me in the Ice Cream costume - I wore it for 4 weeks straight and never got licked once??!!

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 18:16
[Remove] [Reply to this]


madwoman

that's funny, maybe if you take it off you'll have better luck

Posted by madwoman on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 22:36
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I'll give it a go...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 22:46
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Baku Llama

And thats just the good news!

Posted by Baku Llama on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 16:10
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

The bad news is that I've still not reviewed your LP yet, but I've listened to it a few times and it won't be too much longer...))

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 18:17
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Paloma First Lady of Infinity & Queen of Hearts

oh god. not this again, she says from a creaky old train en route from newcastle to edinburgh. where is the review of my band?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Paloma First Lady of Infinity & Queen of Hearts on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 18:34
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I'm not feeling creative enough to produce decent original work, so I'm having to copy and recycle. And besides, I've still not recieved that track - I think my ESP is on strike??!!

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 18:44
[Remove] [Reply to this]


MüllerCoddle

So basically, what he's saying is, he believes in pretty much everything??? Gullible c*nt...

Posted by MüllerCoddle on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 18:50
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Ah, but look closely at line 9 and you'll see that as well as believing in all those things Mr Ballard says..

'I believe in nothing'

Is he being diplomatic or simply contrary??

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 18:54
[Remove] [Reply to this]


MüllerCoddle

Ah, but...is "I believe in nothing" the same as saying "I don't believe in anything"...????

Posted by MüllerCoddle on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 19:03
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

It's definately different to that.

I guess he's qualifying everything else he's put there and perhaps saying that he has days where he believes in nothing and where the idea of belief is all wrong???

It would have saved time to have said:

I believe in nothing

I believe in everything

But that wouldn't have been half as interesting...

Anyone else got any opinions on this??

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 19:15
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Doctor Yak

Nothing (like everything) is yet another concept on this long list that can believed in.
Saying "I do not believe in X" is quite different from "I believe in Not-X".

There is a certain dogma about belief, about the mind's making that decision to believe, that is not present when the mind is not made up. Not-believing doesn't speak to any intellectual certainty on the idea in question - it's more of a neorological agnosticism, if you will.
...To Learn More & Understand Less, I advocate getting hip to the writings of Robert Anton Wilson.

Posted by Doctor Yak on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 20:13
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Yes...

I've read a few things by Mr AW including the rather wonderul Prometheus Rising. That was a very important book for me - I had to steal it from my girlfriend of the time and still have it in my special (CRISIS ONLY) box..

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Sunday, November 04, 2007 at 21:19
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Purveyor of Nothing

Richey edwards wrote 'I know I believe in nothing but it is my nothing'(FASTER-MSP) which 2 me says we all have our own idea of nothing.I feared meditation as i was asked to think of nothing,and of cousre I imagined it black,white,then sort of grainy translucent and spherical,but 4 me it was still there.I always have 2 think of something 'nice' like a tree.or a river,Cant do 'nothing' 2 scary. Then theres 'the intense humming of evil' another form of suffocating nothingness.But thats another story x

Posted by Purveyor of Nothing on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 19:56
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Baku Llama

Don't worry about us at all Giovanni... We know your a busy guy with them nasty nazi's and all. We can wait forever and ever and ever.

Posted by Baku Llama on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 21:07
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

That's more than charming of you, thanks...))

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Sunday, November 04, 2007 at 21:19
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Yeah, i think these two examples perfectly illustrate the difference between 'nothing' and 'anything'...

Anything is a good deal more nihilistic...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 20:21
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Maizie Mulgrazie

I believe in nothing.

"Beliefs are chains that hold free minds slaves. No chains of steel ever bound a human tighter than the chains formed of that human's beliefs about who he is and what the world around him is supposed to be, chains which, unlike their steel counterparts, are often invisible to see and hence more difficult to escape from." - Michael Rivero

Posted by Maizie Mulgrazie on Sunday, November 04, 2007 at 01:59
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

That's an interesting take...

Beliefs can certainly be inspirations or burdens. I find belief is about the only thing that keeps me going most of the time - but I'm not talking jesus..

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Sunday, November 04, 2007 at 10:36
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: