Wednesday 31 October 2007

LIVE REVIEW :: AGASKODO TELIVEREK : THEY CAME FROM THE STARS, I SAW THEM : BOBBY CONN


Current mood: GLOOPY...
Category: GLOOPY... Music



Yeah, the weeks fly like pigs, the post is back, the money is returning and how do I not spend it??

Going to gigs doesn't help.

Of course in the long run, it'll be a source lounge of warmth..

Yes boss, in 30 years time, I'll be sat back in my more than familiar armchair in the Giovanna Ranch in the high Dolomites. Visible out the back will be the snow covered lawn, leading to the woods, the woodpile and my sound cave. The cats will be in my face and the chickens in their hutch

clucking.

So, tell me about the stars gig at Corsica Studios in October of 2007? Wasn't that the first one you did as the Unofficial Minister of Information??? Would it be true to say that was when Paul Giovanni started to fade as your main written voice???

The enthusiastically beautiful journohack will cross her legs, notice my full attention, but misread it..

I'll ponder....Mmmm, Corsica Studios, don't quite?? who with?? mmmm..Errr

I guess I might remember it for being the first time I helped pack
the stars gear away, or because of Bobby Conns purple tracksuit, or because I was tired and barely said a jayword all night.

Or perhaps the rather remarkable vocals from Agaskodo Teliverek will live on.

Initially, I wasn't sure on the band. I liked the tight shorts and the colours. The music was athletic, but not immediately impressive. It was worked - too much so. But with time those vocals were proper clever. By the end I was sitting up and starring...

Starswise
it was as average a perfomance as I've seen: Not massive, not small, but somewhere in the middle - which is remarkable because very rarely do this band play average or unremarkable.

Headlining was
Bobby Conn.

Prior to showtime, I had no idea who Mr Conn was. I imagined a kind of singer songwriter with a touch of the blues. Some middle aged near legend with a cult following that had remained the same size from begining and would always remain so - the kind of talent that sits in a groove and stays there to be loved by the hardcores and largely unknowns aside..

I certainly wasn't expecting a kind of glam pomp thing, but I'm afraid the surprise didn't help me like Mr Conn that much.

Nope, the performance didn't grab me. It was competant, but the songs didn't stand up and out. Mr Conn was much like The Killers. A lot of pomp, but insufficient BIGTIME tunage to back it up. I was waiting for the hooks that would demand I stood on the sofa with my hands in the air, the sounds that made me forget my tiredness...

But no, not quite..



Currently listening :
Theology
By Sinead O’Connor
Release date: By 26 June, 2007

08:11 - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

No comments: