Thursday 8 November 2007

ALBUM RE-REVIEW :: SEEED - NEXT


Current mood: CHILLIN!!
Category: CHILLIN!! Music



Originally posted here on
CDtimes.co.uk, here's my review of Seeeds LP Next



Picture this...I've been writing for Cdtimes.co.uk for a month or two and everything is fun and tricks. Then, like a cat falling from the sky, I'm suddenly undergoing what can only be described as a crisis of faith..

Yes boss, I've been getting all the advance free cds, and to start with I've been loving each and every one like the novelty they are. But then I suddenly decide that writing about them is one tough and overly chewey cookie!!

I'm not joking! My fingers shrivvel, they no longer want to type words. I have too many average or bad records to fill pages with. SWEAT. My brain is crying out for a nice poem, or a trip to Malaysia, or The Rains 'Involver' to be better than Are You Experienced!!

What to do???

I decide I need more records!!!

What??

Yes! MORE RECORDS!! SEND ME MORE FUCKING RECORDS!!!!

I check the available review copies.

"I want Seeed" I say

"But you'll need to get it done sharpish" Comes the doubting and knowing reply.

"Of Course!" I say, having no idea how this can be done or what Seeed are...


Well...the disc arrives and I play it through once and it's kind of raggedy well produced Ragga/pop/hiphop/ska/R'N'B. It's Ok but it's not grabbing me by the balls and i have a few days to be grabbed firmly betwixt, or my name will be browner than my wardrobe.

So, I give it a second spin, and from somehwere, from nowhere, I hear a track that could be the best pop track of the year...

"German, Asian or de Taleban,
the woman make me heart go BAM! BAM! BAM!
GOOOOOSEBUMPS!! (KISS ME NECK!)
Girl you give me GOOOOOSEBUMPS!! (she give me gooosebumps)
From the head to me toe
and there's nothing i can dooo
GOOOOOSEBUMPS!!"

My god!! It's brilliant! It's pop ska! It's the Nathan Barley rap! It's multi-lingual. It's better than the video Horton Jupiter showed me of 'The Budgie Man' who plies his trade outside the Tate! It's europop! It's genius!!

I'm not joking. I love this track. I love it like i loved The Crazy Frog and Barbie Girl and Rhythm Is A Dancer and Doctorin The Tardis!!

GOOOOOSEBUMPS!!
YOU GIVE ME
GOOOOOSEBUMPS!!
GOOOOOSEBUMPS!!
GOOOOOSEBUMPS!!

PURE CLASS!!!!

(I'm still working on the rest of the album mind you...)



Currently listening :
Next!
By Seeed
Release date: By 15 May, 2006

01:00 - 2 Comments - 2 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

graham

I will have to check there new stuff out. I accidently saw Seeed play at Glastonbury festival 2 or 3 years ago & even though I'd never even heard of them before, they gave just about my favourite performance all weekend, with some tough competition for that accolade too of course.

Posted by graham on Sunday, November 04, 2007 at 04:07
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Yeah, I'll have to run over that LP again myself and see what else is there..

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Sunday, November 04, 2007 at 10:13
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: