Saturday 18 August 2007

A COUPLE OF WEEKS HITS :: WEEK BEGINING 12 AUGUST 2007



Current mood: RELAXING
Category: RELAXING Music



Right...

It's been a quiet couple of weeks since all the bickering as to whether Paul Giovanni and his readers should all die of cancer
. And sadly, in that time two musical legends have died of that self same plague...

Lee Hazlewood


Anthony Wilson

Perhaps these two losses might learn our idiot friends at WaKs to have a little more tact and intelligence in their insults, but frankly, i doubt it. It seems young pups like those can get away with murder, especially when they have the rather silvery musical spoon of nepotistic parental heritage
backing them and their 'best thing since Philip Spector' charges up.

(
Alan McGee runs Death Disco in London with his son Dan Waks who is now a busy DJ at the age of 18 and like his father has now started a record label called Waks Records funded by his DJ'ing and putting out records by Glasvegas and Hatcham Social to critical acclaim in the NME and Vice)..

But though these last 2 weeks have been rather sadly marked by the passing of legends, the good music always goes on and I'm very pleased to report plenty of excellently new material continues to burst through the seams of the days rather vapid pop charts
..

Yes boss, though other projects and alter egos, have, together with a week long training camp, kept me away from the keys, this break has resulted in a new and invigorated Paul Giovanni 3rd and my musical radar has been picking up plenty of signs of life to run past your musical snouts.

Upcoming soon I have major features and interviews with Cylob
, The Van Allen Belt and They Came From the Stars I Saw Them. I've also got the usual reviews on albums, demos, gigs and I'll no doubt reproduce a whole handful of recycled old pieces and You Tube clips that I'll palm off in the interests of keeping the stats up....

Yes boss, we're talking
Terror Danjah and Ladykillas every which way you look and I now have yellow trousers and purified blood...

So without further ado, let's get grinding with new news of some of the last coupla weeks hits...


NEW

Here's a wierd one to start with. (But most of what you like is wierd, I hear you say.) Yes it is, but this is wierd in that it's one of those I can't decide on.

Basically, this guy contacted me and said that if I liked both
Mouse on Mars and Tom Waits I might like his stuff.

Well, I've listened to his stuff a few times and I don't quite get it, though I can certainly see the influence of both the formentioned names...

So has anyone got views on
Vert
??

One act I've certainly got a view on is
.....living in a loop
My view is that they're by far and away the most relaxing artists I've stumbled upon since Jackamo Brown..

Ceclie
is another that knows the word mellow, and though I'm often loathed to propogate an act on the basis of one track, I've done it a few times recently and I'm going to do it again..

Paddy Steer
has strange popping eyes and he likes to use what sounds like a whole bunch of instruments. I like this and I love anyone who uses what sounds like a pedal steel guitar..

Another act on a more guitary trip is Beirut
Here we're talking a folky jangly thing. They're both pleasant and clever...


STAPLES

All sorts:

I'm listening to more and more home grown
Grime
.

Grime is East Londons version of Hip Hop.

Early grime was rather unrelenting, but nowadays I reckon there's a whole load of new material mixing into it. Yes boss, fusions with electro, pop, electronica and garage are making the Grime sound far easier on the ears. Basically, it's mellowing and
Lethal Bizzles
duet with Bad Boy Doherty perhaps signals a more commercial and poppy edge to the sound of Bow E3. I definately reckon this scene is evolving and I believe there's plenty of good goods on the way...

Amon Tobins
blustering beats ran through my ears this last week. I was putting this forblogged film set together and downstairs there was a lingerie shoot going on. The photographer had the stereo booming out all sorts, but about the only thing I could clearly identify through the floorboards was Tobins power blasting bombast...

It kind of fitted with my double handed drilling.

Talking of which, there's something enormously satisfying about the sound of drills. I especially like the start up whirr. You know that 0-120rpm in 1/10 of a second sound. I mean it's one thing actually drilling, and quite another to just revv one up into thin air for the hell of it.

I reckon it's probably a male thing
....

Anyway, here's that sound in one of my very favouritely horror flicks...

..

Another noise that will be becoming ever prevalent on Planet Paul this next little while is the sound of football commentary. Yes boss, the new season is underway and i expect to average 7 or 8 radio commentaries a week for the next 9 months...

So, given that my usual readership is overwhelmingly female, I think I'd better stop this thing right here


Currently listening :
Previously Unavailable on Compact Disc
By Cylob
Release date: By 13 April, 1998

11:08 - 6 Comments - 2 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

MOG

Dan Waks Dad is Alan Mcgee! Ha ha ha ha! what a load of Wankers!

Posted by MOG on Sunday, August 12, 2007 at 18:55
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

It's a family affair....

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Sunday, August 12, 2007 at 19:13
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Clinker

Well i will say Glasvegas' Daddys Gone is a brilliant fucking tune, but fuck. Didn't realise his dad was Alan McGee. That to me explains a lot. Don't get me wrong. I have a huge respect for what Alan has done in the past, but he should teach his boy a thing ot too about the right way of going about things. I take it the lad still has respect for his dads opinions, even though he is somewhat older than probably all your readers. Makes him look like an even bigger twat than I thought.

On a related note, has anyone seen how Mr McGee has gone on all out attack on Kevin Shields saying he signed them (My Bloody Valentine) as creations Joke band. This seems like total bullshit to me. An expensive one too, as he allowed his JOKE band to spend £250,000 of his money on "Loveless". His authorised biography in no way even hints that they were his joke band.

Just before this, Kevin Shields layed into the McGee spin, saying McGee loves a good story whether true or not. I wonder this is some kinda retaliation....(discuss).

Anyway maybe nobody here cares about MBV, but it annoyed me and I did take it up with McGee, but can't remember his response (if any). He likes Clinker though, haha.

Posted by Clinker on Sunday, August 12, 2007 at 21:47
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I haven't given Glasvegas an enormous ammount of time. Playing their myspace stuff made me think of The Proclaimers in an echo chamber...

I think McGee has done little more than dull dumb down. I also find his ranting against the music industry when he's music industry through and through, to be absurd and diversionary..

He put out Bill Drummonds solo LP, but other than that, I don't really like any of his bands..

MBV & The Boo Radleys were probably the best of them...

Rather than punching at MBV, I wish he'd start slagging off Oasis and their 47 dull samey LPs, but then without Oasis he would have been bankrupt many years ago...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Sunday, August 12, 2007 at 22:06
[Remove] [Reply to this]


MOG

Paddy Steer Is Odd but I like it. Drills are good but for true power tool satisfaction you can't beat a chainsaw!

Posted by MOG on Sunday, August 12, 2007 at 23:05
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Chainsaws are another ball game entirely. Power tools are basically noisey cocks. I hate the sound of them all the time unless I'm the user...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Sunday, August 12, 2007 at 23:10
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: