Monday 9 June 2008

TODAYS READING FROM THE BOOK OF MARK...


Current mood: CROWD CONTROL
Category: CROWD CONTROL Music





"I wasn't really into girls either. I couldn't even stand my sisters. Sometimes in the school holidays when I was about twelve, and my mam and dad were at work, I'd be looking after five fucking girls: my three sisters, this adopted kid, and another whose parents were abusive towards her. They were about four or five at the time.


I devised this thing called 'Japanese prison camp', I'd make them sit in this room under a table with a big cloth over them because the air force might be coming. I'd be the Japanese guard. 'You can't go out. You must stay under there,' I'd tell them. then I'd shut the door, say I was going to the Bridge on the River Kwai, have some pop, go out with my mates and half an hour before my mam and dad came home, I'd return, saying, 'Japanese prison camp is now over,'

If they escaped, the punishment would be 'No lemonade'. They used to love it. Throw sweets under the cloth. Good laugh.

Occasionally I'd let a couple escape. I'd leave the back door open. They liked that: running around the back garden. Then I'd lock the doors and they'd be pleading to get back to the prison camp. 'You'll have to wait for your mam to come home,' I'd say.

They always remember it, my sisters, when they get a bit pissed; 'We remember Japanese prison camp, you don;t fool us, you pop star.' And my mam's going, 'What's Japanese prison camp?' Today we'd probably get investigated by the social services. What can you do? It's hard work bringing up kids. Japanese prison camp was the perfect solution."

Taken from Renegade: The Lives & Tales Of Mark E Smith By Mark E Smith

No comments: