Wednesday 31 October 2007

A ROUND UP OF THE SINGLES :: GRIME / UK HIP HOP SPECIAL


Current mood: HAVIN IT!!
Category: HAVIN IT!! Music



Dizzee Rascal
Pussyhole
XL

There's a riff going on between original big boy E3 mates Wiley & Dizzee Rascal.

Who knows what it's about. My guess is it's to do with relative success and respect shown.

The rumour is therefore, that the Pussyhole Dizzee sings of on this single is in fact Wiley

Whether it is or isn't, this is rather a silly track. I do like some of the Ravey sounds, but I'm not excited by endless chantings of how Wiley (or for that matter anyone else) is a PUSSYHOLE!!

Basically it's boring and a million miles away from the sophistication and sensitive insight of earlier rascal tracks like Sittin' Here.

Furthermore, I'd say that The Rascal hasn't quite built on the promise of his first LP. Sure he's getting bigger and bigger gigs and more and more cash, but this is because promoters are mostly idiot thick salesmen, rather than half decent critics, and because too many half arsed waste of space acts like the Arctic Monkeys are chatting up his asking price...


Wiley
50/50 Bow E3
Big Dada

I like both these tracks.

I like Bow E3 in particular, because as I explained on the
full LP review, I live in Bow E3 and I like to listen to this as I walk around and about, going to the library, the bank and the corner shop.

Of course my Bow E3 is pretty damn different to Wileys - I barely know a soul and ignore everyone, meanwhile Wiley is in the know and DOWN! Regardless, this tune makes me feel warm...

Neighbourtism aside, I reckon these tracks are decent. I like the production and I like the beats..


Lethal Bizzle
Bizzle Bizzle
V2

I've been waiting for the proper cross over of the grime sound to the UK pop mainstream and Lethal Bizzle is the first real sign it's imminent.

On the evidence of this single we'll have to wait a little longer before it becomes any good, but as a starter for ten it's OK.

My issue here is this is all a bit formulaic and US in sentiment and sound...


Lady Sovereign
Love Me Or Hate Me
Def Jam

The first time I played this I completely loved it. I loved the sentiment, the sounds were simple and fantastic and I loved to play it very loud all the fucking time..

Love me or hate me it's still an obsession!
Love me or hate me that is the question
If you love me then thank you
If you hate me than FUCK YOU!!!

IT WAS BRILLIANT!! IT WAS THE GIOVANNI THEME!!!!

Thing is I've cooled on it now - in fact a very similar thing's happened here as has happenned with Giovanni and Lily Allen.

Yes boss, when I first heard Smile I thought it was brilliant and played it long and loud. But then, I got the album and as with the Sovereign LP, I played it once, and have since completely forgotten it and it's signature tune...

I would however like to take this opportunity to wish both Lady S and Lily A both luck with their business and merchandising careers..


4orce & Poynt Blak
UK Rappcats
Mind Tha Gap

I'm getting a lot of UK hip hop sent my way at present. I have no idea why or how I came to be on these kinds of promo-lists. I do so much arselicking, I sometimes forget the arse..

Anyway, this is OK, but I can't get too excited about it. Basically, I don't find too much going on that's new or different, and this is a general issue I have with Hip Hop the world over.

I do however understand and respect Hip Hop culture - that it's about a lot more than music, that it's all about a team thing, sticking together, it's very groupy, the set, the brothers, tha gang - but that again puts me off.

Yes boss, I like individuals. In particular, I like wierd individuals that no-one else likes or wants to know. Furthermore, I only tend to like bands/groups who sincerely hate one another as much as they love one another. Chummyism is the death of original thought. In fact I'll soon be propossing the death of friendship. It should be love and blood adoration and bile - or nothing...

All this said, I don't want to get stabbed or shot at either lyrically or otherwise, so I'll say this is OK, but I don't really recommend it, because it doesn't define itself apart...

In particular: I find it hard to take anything seriously when Hip Hop Conventions in Walthamstow are mentioned. Yes boss, I find the whole idea of Hip Hop in Walthamstow to be completely and absolutely fucking odd...

Talking of which, the moment I knew for certain that Franz Ferdinand were well over hyped fakes was when I learnt the drummer had spent his wealth on a fucking house in Walthamstow.

FUCKING JESUS CHRIST!! IF THAT'S SUPPOSED TO BE ROCK n ROLL THEN
ROCK n ROLL REALLY IS TERRIBLY AND BADLY FUCKING DEAD!!

I mean, it's not that he should have bought crack with his cash, it's just that a minor sense of style is VERY IMPORTANT for an artist, and choosing to buy a fucking semi or whatever the fuck in Walthamstow when you've made your cash from being in a fucking rock band is well
beyond my meanest words of contempt......


Currently listening :
They Came from the Stars I Saw Them Vs. Reality
By They Came from the Stars I Saw Them Vs. Reality
Release date: By 18 September, 2007

22:36 - 4 Comments - 4 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Mog Hartley

"I do so much arselicking, I sometimes forget the arse.." lol
I quite like this grime sound. The American Hip hop brigade could learn a thing or two from it.

Posted by Mog Hartley on Thursday, October 04, 2007 at 08:12
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

For sure - I think it still needs a little refinement, but it's very punchy and edgy...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Thursday, October 04, 2007 at 12:05
[Remove] [Reply to this]


MüllerCoddle

"Chummyism is the death of original thought."

When I've got a spare week or two, I'm going to compile the Giovanni Bumper Book Of Quotable Quotes...

Posted by MüllerCoddle on Thursday, October 04, 2007 at 19:09
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Perfect for the toilet, along with Viz and Karl Pilkingtons last christmas book....

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Thursday, October 04, 2007 at 19:12
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: