Wednesday 31 October 2007

THIS WEEKS HITS :: LA FEME VOCALE


Current mood: GOOD
Category: GOOD Music



With James Deman back in his sporting box, I, Paul James Giovanni 3rd have regained control of this blog, am back to proper musical business, and the first thing on my very full agenda is to round up and promo some of my favourite female singer/songwriters that can be found here on myspazz...

Now, before I start, I would have to prefix by saying I find it odd and somewhat dull, that as the world gets more and more technological and open for experimentation, there's an ever increasing supply of wannabe folk singers strumming acoustic guitars and singing about pain they've never known....

Yes boss, Myspazz and for that matter the UK album chart is awash with such singer/songwriters and most are about as damn awful and unimaginative as a months holiday in Thailand...

Come to think of it, these two phenomena (The Thailand Holiday Explosion & Acoustic fetisisation) seem to have grown in tandem..

Yes boss, since the advent of 'The Gap (TM) Year' it seems every touristically unimaginative man, woman and dog now goes through a phase of South East Asian travel from whence they return, pretending spirituality and proceding to drone on endlessly about how many chickens Thai people carry on a Scooter, how wonderful Chang Beer is and the importance of playing acoustic guitar in and around the camp fire...

I find it all very tedious and can safely say you won't ever find me musing on whether to bugger a ladyboy 'for the experience' neither will you find me in Thailand full stop...

I mean Christ, if I went on a holiday and found myself amongst a rabble of fake western kiddies on drugs inside the beach, my main priority wouldn't be joining in and bombing out, so much as investigating the liberality of that countries gun laws...

No boss, there are about 193 countries ahead of Thailand on my wish list and the first is Nigeria (of which more will be said later today)....


Anyway, I couldn't care less if Brigid Power Ryce is the Thai Minister for Ladyboys and has, in her time, attached 300 chickens to her scooter whilst driving roughshod over the entire Buddhist population of Phuket - Brigid has one hell of a singing voice...

Yes boss, when you bear in mind the vocals on these two myspazz tracks are recorded about as primitively as can be done in this digital age, then you know there's something rather special going on here..

To get an idea of her sound, you need to be imagining the woman from The
Jefferson Airplane crossed with Hope Sandoval of Mazzy Star. More seriously you need to hear the voice on your headphones LOUD.

RAW POWER!!


Erinn has a more cautious, light and delicate approach to singing, but there's an edge and flow I find audibly appealing.

Inch by inch works very well and the other tracks presented here are rather more interesting than many I've found of late as I trawled the spazzing world looking for a new singer for my occasional pop band Sammy Lee & The Headsets..

Wait a minute - now that I look at Erinn closely, I've just realised she also reminds me of my ex-wife
- which in turn reminds me, I'm still holding onto our old pet Mitzy the dog, despite her promises to come collect. What's more, this months maintenance cheque is very, VERY LATE!!!

MICHELLE ANSWER THE FUCKING PHONE!!!!!



nuJ is, I suppose, somewhere inbetween the above two performers.

The thing I love here is the music and it's perfect partnering with the voice.

Yes boss, this is the kind of musical adventure I want to hear - an interesting, teasing and clever vocal and some curious and decent sounds behind and around it.

Vocals, percussion, piano, synths, harpsichord, guitar, banjo, accordian,woodflutes, and whatever else I can get my hands on...

BRAVO!!!

Maple My Tree is a great track. Acordians, and exploring voice and heavy DUSH beats - FANFUCKINGTASTIC!!



Currently listening :
Coming on Strong
By Hot Chip
Release date: By 29 November, 2005

11:43 - 6 Comments - 2 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

caroline

hey thanks for that! I sent nuJ a friend request. have you listened to jana hunter before? she's in my "top friends". just curious what oyu think......
best, c

Posted by caroline on Friday, September 28, 2007 at 08:03
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

No I haven't - I'll go take an earful...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, September 28, 2007 at 11:43
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Brigid Power-Ryce

thanks for that-but my name is Brigid! brenda could work though maybe il change

Posted by Brigid Power-Ryce on Friday, September 28, 2007 at 12:47
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Of course it is - In fact I thought it was and then checked something that said Brenda..

Perhaps I'm going blind...

I'll change it..)

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, September 28, 2007 at 12:52
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Big Sky Drifter

Dang Giovanni you found a real singer in Brigid. I begged her to guest on a Baku Llama track... we will see where it goes! Sorry to dog John Lydon... I adored the guy when we was younger, (angst is a young mans game!) Write on dude... you have the knack and the ear!

Posted by Big Sky Drifter on Friday, September 28, 2007 at 18:52
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

My ears stick out - and there's a reason for that...

She's top quality - the kind of voice that puts you on the floor...

+++++++++++

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, September 28, 2007 at 18:58
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: