Wednesday 31 October 2007

2 OLA FATTY LP REVIEWS


Current mood: PIú TARDI
Category: PIú TARDI Music



WOW!!!

Here we go with 2 long overdue LP overviews.

Yes boss, I've been sat on these for about 4 months a piece, which is close to a personal best delay - but not quite...


Prince Fatty

Survival of the Fattest
Mr Bongo Recordings

I guess the main part of the reason for this extensive delay is because I didn't (and still don't to a large degree) know what to say about them...

Yes boss, my general tactic when not knowing what to say, is to say nothing until I know what to say.

As you can imagine, this creates many, many difficult social situations, in which I stand still, open my mouth and say nothing.....

People look at me as I've been turned off. Sometimes they consider changing the batteries, or rebooting, as I stand there agape, awaiting a fresh delivery of clever and intelligent words....

It's curious, and the other day I decided I'd like to get a t-shirt with an inbuilt flat screen monitor, so that when such situations occurr, I can put on a movie or some strange visuals to aid the waiting process...

Anyway, this LP is a nicely produced Reggae LP for the year 2007. It features many a top dollar cameo and it's of a decent quality throughout..

What you won't get here are any real surprises.

No boss, this is definitie and standard sounding Reggae with little sign of experimentation, the like of which I like to see in any style or LP in order to get really and proper excited and punctual.

Yes boss, Survival of the Fattest is a leg of lamb and potatoes affair. It's satisfying, pleasant and filling, but it's unlikely to make you re-invent the wheel when you wake up from your digestion siesta...

If that's what you're wanting from a Reggae LP I'd seriously recomend the 30 year old but still fresh and newly experimental sounding
21st Century Dub..


Jose Conde Y Ola Fresca

(R)evolucion
Mr Bongo Recordings

I guess much the same can be said about this LP from Mr Ola Fresca as with Mr Fatty, except here we're talking rootsy, funky, jazzy latin shuffle dance thing and not 2007 reggae..

Yes boss, as with PF, this LP is neat, competant, pleasant and ideal for the background. But as with Mr Fatty, it's also failed to get me too excited, though the press release does claim it's a new and unique sound..

Now to be fair, this kind of a sound isn't one I'm ultra familiar with, so I may be doing it a disservice, but I find it to be much like other records of this type and I can't say much more than that..

Personally speaking, the best thing for this kind of a record is about 5am after a cracking good party.

You know, that point when you've passed the peak of oblivion, have had an hour of so's doze on the couch and need to get moving....

You wake up, pour a fresh and stiff drink to ward off the impending hangover, and feel happy and light because you know you've had a good night...

In such a state I imagine myself putting this record on, moving my feet in a whirl of neat little shuffles, holding a large whiskey and ice and singing..

BA DEE DEE, DAB A DEE DEE..



Currently listening :
Prokofiev: Cinderella, complete ballet music Op. 87 (2 CD Set)
By Sergei Prokofiev
Release date: By 01 August, 1995

15:06 - 6 Comments - 4 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

maryJane

i find myself in awkward social situations where i dont know what to say quite a bit. but to contribute to the conversation, i make up for my silence by making eyes at everyone...

its always a hit.

Posted by maryJane on Friday, October 19, 2007 at 17:39
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Yes, I can be acused of overuse of the eyes, but I mostly use them for observation, enquirical gains and intimidation...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, October 19, 2007 at 18:20
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Paloma First Lady of Infinity & Queen of Hearts

most people just get angry and shout at me, "DON'T HOU HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY?!?!?! ANSWER ME GODDAMN IT, AND MAKE EYE CONTACT." but sometimes i just don't have anything to say and see no reason to make something up...

Posted by Paloma First Lady of Infinity & Queen of Hearts on Friday, October 19, 2007 at 20:59
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

"PAUL! STOP TALKING!!"
is one of the best and most original ripostes I've heard (quite a few times...)

But it is rude to stay quiet and the vast majority of people really can't handle it...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, October 20, 2007 at 01:28
[Remove] [Reply to this]


MüllerCoddle

Talking's so over-rated. I don't understand those people who constantly feel the need to fill the silence with their inane shit.

As my mother says... "empty vessels make the most noise."

Posted by MüllerCoddle on Friday, October 19, 2007 at 21:26
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Most people can't help but TALK TALK TALK

It often waters down their product...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, October 20, 2007 at 01:36
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: