Wednesday 31 October 2007

PROFILE :: T-TOE


Current mood: LATE...
Category: LATE... Music



It's hard enough writing about breakfast on a day to day, let alone being political, clever, innovative and factual in evaluating LPs of music.

Yes boss, musicians might generally hate music journalists, but succinctly and cleverly describing an LP isn't easy to do well. The difficulty is you're dealing with peoples heart, dream and soul - sometimes put down over years of hard effort and struggle and you're supposed to know what the fuck in a few days or less, during which time you're mostly drunk and/or listening to 100 other bits of music that might or might not be good, all of which are demanding that same attention....

AND you're dealing with your own failures...

So, to counter these odds of getting things wrong time and time again, I always reserve the right to take as damn long as I please when reviewing a disc. Sure, it looses me readers, subscribers, the interest of magazines, websites and often annoys the act in question, but frankly musicians are generally easily annoyed and I can't be bothered with stabbing them back because I'm a little slow..

Anyway, there can be few who've been more patient in their wait than T-Toe..

Yes boss, after hearing his myspazz tracks way back in February, I dropped him a line requesting more. He duly obliged within the month sent me a disk containing 7 tracks and since then I've been taking my time...

There's no excuse for this extreme a delay - especially because this LP is easy to get into and shows plenty of interest and promise. I guess if anything I was wondering what i could say that the music doesn't...

Well, now I know...

Basically, the thing I most like with this is the use of a Trombone in electronica.

Brass instruments are wierd. I know this because i played them for 5 years.

Yes boss, rather than spending my youth with The Beatles, Madonna or Duran Duran, I was listening to and playing Brass Band music on a tiny panasonic tape recorder. My hand was forced to a large degree by parents who disaproved of pop music and whereas I now know that's silly, I don't now feel at all deprived to have had to wait a while to get with the trendy sounds...

So, since I got into electronica sometime around 10 years ago, I've been waiting for Brass to come more into it. For some reason it's always felt like it could be a part of the very heavy driving nature of ELECTROBLAST and could add the soul that electronic sounds sometimes lack.

Basically: WHACK some distortion on top and regiment it HARD with the odd bit of crazy modulation.

Spring Heel Jack worked this sound to a degree (Bank of America being a fine example) and I heard someone play a mystery track at a Warp rave way back when that was Brass and sounded huge - so huge it got very messy by the end - I think the DJ was getting carried away...

Anyway, T-Toe has definately brought in Brass and it works. The reasonance of brass has soul. It has punch. It's a wierd sound and T-toe uses it every which way: As melody, percussion and rhythm, distorted and clean and pure.

Yes boss, I feel that the CD he sent (currently not available commercially but mostly playable from his myspazz player) showcases what can and will be done in the future...

Brasstronica is difficult to know what to do with. These tracks aren't really dance floor, they're not that easy listening. They're the sort of tracks to play loud at home and jump into when you need a dose - braindance as rephlex call it....

One other thing I love with T-Toe, is that he takes his act out and plays LIVE. Yes boss, anyone who gets a Trombone out in a nightclub is definately a friend of mine...



So, T-toe is good and I reckon this LP is worthy of a release. Furthermore, I wouldn't imagine this is anything like the peak Mr Toe, in fact it's probably closer to a starting selection..

14:17 - 11 Comments - 8 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

T-toe

:-) ego = enormous!

Cheers for this dude!

Will add a link on my page...

T

Posted by T-toe on Thursday, October 04, 2007 at 19:11
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Sorry it took so long - what's new???

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Thursday, October 04, 2007 at 19:28
[Remove] [Reply to this]


T-toe

Been propa poor, as of late! So not done loads.

Got a massive gig coming up supporting PLAID!! which is pretty awesome. That's on the 20th @ Ginglik. So, really that's what's exciting me at the moment.

OneLittleIndian artist HK119 i supposed to be getting in touch wif me to ask for a remix, which is cool. So if she likes it, that might make a release on her album... fingers crossed!

Apart from that, pretty busy in the day job, trying to do loads of overtime!

Poor = rubbish!

T

Posted by T-toe on Thursday, October 04, 2007 at 19:46
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Yes - I saw this gig, I've got another on that night, but might be able to double up depending on time spots...

The remix sounds interesting, but I don't know the artist - I'll take a look..)

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Thursday, October 04, 2007 at 20:34
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Baku Llama

A friggin TROMBONE !!! who'da thunk it??? Sounds kinda cool!

Posted by Baku Llama on Friday, October 05, 2007 at 00:55
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

It's great...

and even without it the beats stand up.

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, October 05, 2007 at 00:56
[Remove] [Reply to this]


maryJane

...anyone who incorporates something outside the bass-guitar-drum triad is always, always, always worth considering. i'll have to check this guy out.

Posted by maryJane on Friday, October 05, 2007 at 04:08
[Remove] [Reply to this]


graham

I just had a listen to shitty music. Wow, what a choooooon! I reckon I could discover some great new music through your blogs. I just listened to the chap too, never heard them either. As for your number 1 friends They came from the stars I saw them, a friend of mine introduced me to their music about a week ago & it really blew me away, I'm after their old new l.p. now. Well, good to meet you Paul :)

Posted by graham on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 at 16:09
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

You sound like the most intelligent man on the planet - if there are more like you, I still have an outside chance fo one day being rich and making everyone pay £300 per post to read my blinger!!))

Right now, subscribing for free is the very best way to keep up to date..

The Stars LP can be bought from this link and from Amazon (but the link will be quicker)

Watch out for some old old stars stuff up for grabs on the blog later today...

All the very best
p)

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 at 16:21
[Remove] [Reply to this]


graham

Ahh, you won't think I'm all that intellegent when I tell you I'm a Klaxons fan. I'm even wearing their t-shirt I bought at a little gig of theirs last friday here in downtown Lawrence, Kansas (where I'm on holiday). They played in a pub which only got half full (about 150 people). I know you don't like them as I just tried to reply to your Hoaxons blog but my internet went down half way through so I'm posting it here instead. The fact they won the mercury prize thing didn't put me off them because "myths of the near future" really is a great album. Anyway, back to this blog, thanks for the link for buying the TCFTSIST album. I'll do that next week when I get home. As for paying to read yours or anyone elses blog, sorry, but I would never pay to do that, as informative as it is.

Posted by graham on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 at 16:54
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Well music is wholly a matter of opinion and on The Klaxons we obviously disagree.

But like I said at the time, I felt I'd heard far too much about the Kalxons befforehand and when I finally heard their music, I thought WHAT THE FUCK WAS THE HYPE ABOUT!!!??? and my opinion hasn't changed since...((

I'm interested that you say you would never pay to read a blog - it was of course a tongue in cheek comment, but it does seem to be the case that the days of getting paid to work creatively are coming to an end...

It suggests to me that we are referring back to a situation where everyone has a go as an amateur and pros are few and far between...

I mean, I write this blog with the dedication of a professional. I spend more than 10 hours a day, writing, researching and networking it, yet it seems there is no hope I will ever get paid to do it because people now expect to get this information for free, whereas in the pre internet age people were happy to pay to buy a magazine...

Contrary to Alan 'Che' McGee, Chuck D and the likes proclamations, the internet would therefore appear to be nothing short of a financial disaster for lower level professional artists/writers and musicians...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 at 17:11
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: