Wednesday 31 October 2007

A ROUND UP OF SOME OF THE SINGLES


Current mood: UP TOGETHER
Category: UP TOGETHER Music



I'm getting known. Labels and PR companies are taking Paul J G 3 seriously enough to send ever increasing numbers of cds and press releases.

Of course I like and ask for these, and then I go and buy others in the Berwick Stret and Notting Hill shops, so now I have a shitbig pile and I need to write, so here we are with the first of many regular round ups of the weeks physical inbox...

(Please be aware that some of these are now 'old' But also remember singles are a promotional tool for albums and if they're good they're still good...)


Kingsomniac
Language Of A Lady
On Faculty Music

I find it hard to say much about this kind of thing - there's so much that sounds similar and samey. It's indie pop rock. It makes up the bulk of UK Festivals daytime billings - some bands do well and some don't, which, I figure, is mainly down to the marketing departments work rate and contacts list.

This is OK: Language of a Lady isn't bad, Saturday Night doesn't grab me so much...


The Ironweed Project
Boom Boom Clap
Fat Northerner

'I've got the deepest bass in my ride' is the lyric on this one. It's repeated over a deep bass accompaniment simple beat. I can imagine wide boys in souped up Ford Foci playing it at their meets..

It's OK and it does what it says it does. I find it a bit simple and not really my thing, though I like to hear fat bass always...


12 Stone Toddler
Candles On Cake
Amazon Records

This is different. It's a heavy kind of dark pub big band rock. A full sound - it almost reminds me of
Faith No More around the Angel Dust time. If I'm being honest (and I always am) I don't much like it and wouldn't have thought I'll play it again, but it's better than alot of standard indie rock stuff that gets pumped out...


Dr Octagon
Aliens
Casual Records 2006

Quality!! Dr Octagon is back and this is simple and brilliant...

OK, it's a year old, but as I say on my front page, that shouldn't matter and in this case it doesn't.

Thing was, I didn't like it to start with. It's a little plodding and I was starting to turn off, but then it starts to go, and like a firework, the tempo increases and it twirls, the beat quickens and a big smile spreads..

Changes of tempo are great, this one is brilliant and this is wonderfully crafted pop music..

Clever Hip Hop!!

Yes boss, mainstream Hip Hop has got like Cock Rock - All big booty vids and stupid excess. By the look of his page (ladies only) Dr Octagon rapper
Kool Keith doesn't mind this. My question is:

What time is hop grunge???

Anyway, backed with an instrumental and a D'n'B remix, this is the one I most definately recommend...


Aesop Rock
None shall Pass
Definitive Jux

This is a kind of quick fire rap thing and I can't quite decide on it. I quite like the riff in the background and though the produciton sounds a little muddy, the arrangement is interesting and the vocal interesting.

It has a good feel...

Yeah, it's OK - definately worth a look..




Currently listening :
The Instrumentalyst (Octagon Beats)
By Dr. Octagon
Release date: By 29 April, 1997

01:38 - 1 Comments - 4 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Machine Boy

hey some neat reviews there bud !........my mate worked for a local (to me) newspaper and used to do the reviews section........and used to get sent stuff by pr & labels............hahahaha.............it all got way out of hand and now he has an awesome collection of 100 thousand albums....phew...........maybe its time for you to live in a warehouse...hahaha.....sorry mate just thought I would share that pointless story with you...........keep the reviewin coming, nice one !!

Dean ;-)
www.machineboy.co.uk
www.tenboy.co.uk

Posted by Machine Boy on Sunday, September 30, 2007 at 11:46
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: