Wednesday 31 October 2007

ALBUM REVIEW :: MEWGATZ - UNDERFELT


Current mood: OK..
Category: OK.. Music



Well, here's something - It's called circuit bending...

What you do, is you scour the length and breadth of the land, buying up electronic toys and cheap keyboards. You then violate them with a soldering iron!! OH YES!! YOU PERVERT THE FUCKING SILICONE UNTIL IT SCREECHS AND SCREAMS HELL!!!



Yes boss, you turn a perfectly good talking Furbee (TM) into a Cuntbet (MT). You twizzle the screws and short the circuits, and instead of it saying something cute and queasey, it makes wierd noises - it farts, it squelches and it tells your mother to GO FUCK HERSELF!!!

It's a grand idea -so how does it sound in reality??

Well
Mewgatz has been at this lark for some time and this is his first mini-album..

It's a strange collection. It's multi-layered and complicated and though it's competant and not uninteresting, I reckon it's not quiet the finished item..

What I'm saying is that I like it, but I don't love it.

To be specific: I have the idea that as with the films of Stanley Kubrick, this record is so interested in the wonders of the technology, it perhaps forgets the importance of the narrative and the soul...

Yes boss, I like Kubrick a great deal, he has a wicked sense of humour and a great sense of picture, but I've always felt his films are like lessons in cinema rather than films you can take home and cuddle at night - and I have the same feeling here with Mewgatz..

I reckon that if you took
Mewgatz home, he might put on a CD, get cosey - then change the CD.....Get comfy, then change the EQ (BASS UP TREBBLE DOWN) Things might get fruity, then (TREBBLE DOWN BASS UP!!!!) A little heavy petting then - MIDRANGE!! I NEED MORE MIDRANGE!!!

Who knows..??

It's a good disc, but not a great one...

))

Currently listening :
They Came from the Stars I Saw Them Vs. Reality
By They Came from the Stars I Saw Them Vs. Reality
Release date: By 18 September, 2007

17:54 - 4 Comments - 4 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Purveyor of Nothing

A mate of mine bought a cheap kids educational keyboard from a charity shop with the intention of circuit bending it and then to my delight and his astonishment, on the way home in the bag it started to whirr and screech all by itself and sounded like Neubauten on crack....and I mean it wasnt just the metallic textures there was Blixa style screaming thrown in for good measure...He had wanted 2 doctor it himself and someone had obviously already had a go.I have a casio PT-20 I bought on Ebay 2 replace a much loved childhood item....now its missing on a note in the middle.SHALL I TAKE THE BACK OFF? My boyfriend reckons there might be a matter of a bit of dust.It could be Fatal I reckon :/

Posted by Purveyor of Nothing on Friday, September 28, 2007 at 22:50
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

GET IN THERE AND BEND IT!!!!

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, September 28, 2007 at 23:26
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Onomatopoeia Records

For further circuit bending see Data Rape by Experimental Audio Research.

Posted by Onomatopoeia Records on Thursday, October 04, 2007 at 09:24
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I'll certainly check that out...

It's a new thing on me - but I love the idea..

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Thursday, October 04, 2007 at 11:43
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: