Sunday 10 June 2007

SINGLE REVIEW / FEATURETTE :: TALL PONY - I'M YOUR BOYFRIEND NOW


Current mood: SPUNKY
Category: SPUNKY Music


After close to 20 years of collecting music like a squirrel with no sense of proportion, I find myself in possession of a vast collection of tracks. And though this was the point, and, in fact, my childhood dream, this heaven is now causing me big trouble…

One aspect of this trouble is storage and a bigger one is freshness.

I mean when one has a huge archive of music, how does one prioiritse listening? New or Old? Most loved or most difficult? And what's the point of radio when you can piece together a 100,000 track mp3 playlist that fulfils the same function without the idiot prattle adverts for Coldplay and the Carphone Whorehouse?

Well boss, I've learnt something of late and that is that the point of radio is to enable one to keep things fresh, to know what's new and to thereby enable one to float. Yes, having got to the point of not needing radio, I've realised that I needed radio far more than I ever needed an archive..

Anyway, as per usual, my digressions are swimming seawards with the beef of this review in their mouths, like satisfied salmon who've realised the whole spawning thing was just a silly joke. So I'll get back to the point, which is to draw your attention to one of the finest new tracks I've heard. A track I found on the radio....

It happened like this.

Having being helplessly ensconced in my aforementioned archive for what could be considered years, sometime before Christmas, I tuned into Huw Stephens BBC Radio 1 show to see what the kids might be listening to...

It was the first time I'd even seen the name Huw Stephens let alone heard his show, so I wasn't expecting much other than another big up fake Smashy, the like of which Radio 1 apparently breeds in cages. But what happened is that I heard a band called Tall Pony do a track called I'm Your Boyfriend Now..and I was in raptures..

Why?

Well, I'm Your Boyfriend Now is basically a track that contains the speech ten million men have wanted to give to their girlfriends the minute they've realised they're in a relationship from which escape is going to be tricky indeed...

Yes boss, contained in this song are the basic rules to which a good girlfriend must conform minus the window dressing or 'Of Course Darlings' which plague the small talk of modern relationships. I'm Your Boyfriend Now is straight, simple and ample.

You see girls, us boys pretend that feminism has made us new and improved and ready to follow you around like dogs on short leads. But the truth is we hate coming to clothes shops for hours on end. It not only makes us lust after more or less every other girl in the shop, but we actually abhor the very idea of having to observe the pain and torment a girl has to go through to look beautiful. We don't want to see this shit being acted out in front of our very eyes!! It destroys a lot of things.

Yes, sorry ladies, but the bottom line is men (in an ideal world) still want you tied up in bag for the vast majority of the day if at all possible as you do us. It's mean and cruel and likely to get me a kicking, but such is the world...

Anyway, Tall Ponies I'm Your Boyfriend Now is a genius track of honesty, and the perfect antidote to the godawful faked gay candy pop of Mika and more or less every other male solo artist since ACDC became cabaret.

Of course when this becomes Number 1, charges of sexism and objectification of women will be raised, but such charges can be raised about who's turn it is to open the tin of catfood and who should put the rubbish out, so there's no need to worry about them or engage with thme in any serious way. Such concerns just reult in programs like Panorama and we don't need 'em..

What is important is that this is an excellent piece of only just music and an even better piece of writing, and if I ever manage to fuck up my current relationship (odds 1.21 within ten minutes of PP reading this) then I'm going to get the ground rules sorted out on the next Mrs Giovanni from the get go.

"LISTEN UP!!" I'll yell, just after we've enjoyed a bout of early evening sex. I'll then press play and Jemima, or whatever her name is, will listen to this track at double loud volume. She'll love it, she'll agree to the rules, sign a piece of paper there and then saying that's so and we'll both live happily ever after….


I'm Your Boyfriend Now is out June 26th on Cherryade Records

http://www.myspace.com/tallpony



Currently listening :
The Rose Has Teeth in the Mouth of a Beast
By Matmos
Release date: By 09 May, 2006

19:13 - 18 Comments - 10 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Edi

"when one has a huge archive of music, how does one prioiritse listening?"

Well, I, for one, didn't use to prioritise listening. I just kept listening to the archive sequentially - alphabetically-chronologically, that is. It would take me a few months, a few hours everyday, to complete one such round. The nature of my survival priorities for now, however, is such that I can't do that anymore. I just sample for now, I'm like "Now I want this". And I'm probably, finally entering a new, long-awaited phase of my listening habits (I think you too mentioned it in one blog entry of yours) - that is, studying, learning, practising what I'm listening to ;)

Posted by Edi on Thursday, June 07, 2007 at 21:59
[Remove] [Reply to this]


MollyCoddle

I'M SO GLAD I'M A LESBIAN.

Posted by MollyCoddle on Friday, June 08, 2007 at 00:13
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

Surely the lesbian thing is worse on account of someone of the two concerned being a fake man?? Or is it 2 women women?? I don't understand these things...

I'm just fucking jealous of women because I (a man) can't have kids drop out of my body...I mean jesus you girls have got a monopoly on that one and there ain't never gonna be any equality as long as that exists. To be perfectly frank, it amazes me women want anymore than that one golden and exceptional thing...

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Friday, June 08, 2007 at 00:19
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

I mean, women fighting for the right to go to WORK???

You want to go and do a nine to five?!? Are you fucking crazy or what???

A 9 2 5 is a pack of shit...

Give me the choice between a 9 2 5 working for people who couldn't care less whether you live or die and the chance to stay at home and watch your own kids grow and develop - kids who think the world of you and give you unconditional love??

I know which i'd rather...

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Friday, June 08, 2007 at 00:28
[Remove] [Reply to this]


MollyCoddle

I'M NOT REALLY A LESBIAN.

Posted by MollyCoddle on Friday, June 08, 2007 at 00:32
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

I am really jealous i can never give birth...

You women don't know how lucky you are....

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Friday, June 08, 2007 at 00:36
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

I am really jealous i can never give birth...

You women don't know how lucky you are....

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Friday, June 08, 2007 at 00:34
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Madam Paloma, Queen of the Pirates

Now that I have had 7 little blue drinks...SEXISM! I hope PP kicks your ass for writing this.

Posted by Madam Paloma, Queen of the Pirates on Friday, June 08, 2007 at 02:50
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Madam Paloma, Queen of the Pirates

OK I'll give you the part about the 9 to 5 dealio. Anyone, Man or Woman who would rather work than hang out with kids who love them unconditionally is crazy. I am so trying to win the lottery so I can get fired from my job. I couold so find better ways of spending my time. Cleaning the house: NO Working: NO

(Unless, however your kids hate you, then you might want to find a better way to spend your time.)

the little blue drinks were FREE...so I HAD to have seven and one long island.

Posted by Madam Paloma, Queen of the Pirates on Friday, June 08, 2007 at 04:00
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

But it's well written isn't it??

Nah, it's not sexism anyway...I've just never really understood why you girls want what us men have got, cause it really isn't all that...

And now, it strikes me you lot want the best of both worlds, meanwhile us poor men are stuck with the work option. I mean just how many house husbands are there? And how many men have given birth??

Incidentally I also don't buy the idea that men call the shots in this world - Men wouldn't get out of bed if it weren't to impress women. Women are definately far more materialistic than men. Give most men a fridge full of beer, a TV with sport on and they're as happy as larry...

PS: PP won't kick my ass, she's busy doing the dishes and after thatb she has to clean the house :+) :+) pg

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Friday, June 08, 2007 at 10:19
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

I see the track, as i see this piece of writing: It's heavy sarcasm, but heavy sarcasm is always loaded with a whole bunch of truth as well othwerwise it doesn't work....

Men are like stupid little puppies bouncing around trying to get attention, but they have no choice - men are ruled by their cocks more often than not....

Paul Govanni is ruled by his head and his dreamworld, his cock might as well not exist..

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Friday, June 08, 2007 at 11:49
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Madam Paloma, Queen of the Pirates

It is well written, and I gave it a couple of listens and, yeah I liked it. It's not sexist.

And there is nothing more hilarious than to watch men TRYING to impress women. I feel my power in that sense. But in no way do I want what men have, if it means working...

Posted by Madam Paloma, Queen of the Pirates on Friday, June 08, 2007 at 11:20
[Remove] [Reply to this]


MOG

I heard this one on the radio the other day and thought it was great. I didn't catch who it was by so well done that boy. I think It's far too good and odd to get a decent position in the charts though look at scroobius pip. the best pop record for years and I think it just got the top 40 and I haven't heard it once on the radio.
As for the problem of what to listen to. I got everything except my vinyl and cassettes on the hard drive and just press random play I never know what's going to play next. also I've downloaded loads of free music of the net which hasn't been tagged properly so I don't even know what it's called or who it is.

Posted by MOG on Friday, June 08, 2007 at 03:07
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

Yeah, I've got a 3800 odd play list of new stuff on now. Problem is i just don't have time to listen to everything...Too much choice can be smothering...It's one of the myhts of the modern era that choice equals freedom...

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Friday, June 08, 2007 at 10:24
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Madam Paloma, Queen of the Pirates

all this choice just adds to my anxiety.

Posted by Madam Paloma, Queen of the Pirates on Friday, June 08, 2007 at 11:25
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

I've got about 15 cds I've been sent for free that i need to be reviewing, but I'm tied up with the cricket and Lee Hazlewood...

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Friday, June 08, 2007 at 13:58
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Madeleine

the boyfriend song funny stuff - totally agree about the radio being the better option to the archive
i have too many tunes that i can barely listen to the whole song through without moving on to the
next one. never sated. the problem indeed is freedom from choice.

Posted by Madeleine on Friday, June 08, 2007 at 23:22
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

Yep...too many tunes not enough time and because you have a copy (or in my case 2 - of everything) you skip because you think you can listen to it again in the future...

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Saturday, June 09, 2007 at 01:05
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: