Saturday 16 June 2007

MY EX-WIFE AND THE CLIENTELE


Current mood: OPEN MINDED
Category: OPEN MINDED Music




So...

You may be aware of my ex-wife Michelle.

Yes boss, though our marriage was disolved more than 10 years ago, those of you who tune into this blog will know Michelle and I still manage to annoy one another on a very frequent basis...


Now, I won't talk too much about our marriage now, except to say that it was a mistake that lasted 3 months. We were young and ravished by lust!! It was Hollywood!!! We got carried away and were married in Vegas!!! It didn't work out. IT WAS ALL HER FAULT!!!!!

Imagine Britneys first (annulled) marriage and you'd be getting close to what happenned with us..

Anyway, one of the key problems of difference since the split has been our differing musical taste.

Yes boss, Michelle is the kind of woman who spends hours of an evening listening to the same track on rotation in the belief it will soothe her broken heart and make her well again?!?

The track in question will usually be something of heart rendering angst by Elliot Smith, Jarvis Cocker or some other such sorry, foppish, thin pale looking junky - you know the sweet tortured boys of this world. Guys who need a good meaty meal and a decent exercise routine to get themselves in shape and back in command of their lives!!!


Well, to be perfectly frank, this kind of a half man annoys the shit out of me!

Yes boss, being a FULL MANS MAN!! I can't bear half WUSSY men, who're proud to be unfit and unhealthy. I don't like men who wear corduroy and shirts they've bought in charity shops...

Furthermore I hate to listen to tracks more than once unless something serious is going on!!!!

'Repetition is the first step on the pathway to madness
' I tell Michelle

"GO FUCK YOURSELF YOU FUCKING LITTLE FUCKING IDIOT DICKSHIT COCKSUCKER! I REGRET THE DAY I EVER MET YOU, YOU SHIT EATING BENT PISS FUCKHEAD!!!" she screams back


Anyway.

Yesterday or the day before, Michelle writes me a message

oh- have you ever heard of the clientele? they are fucking great... perfect blend of floaty, dreamy jangly guitars & an amazing 60's pop sensibility. i highly reccomend. please listen to them if you haven't. they are very very good.

'WELL FUCKING HELL JESUS CHRIST!!!' I thunk as I drank my Earl Grey tea and listened to the final day of the cricket. 'Not another bunch of foppish idiots with floaty guitars and cute smiles who Michelle is just as interested in sleeping with as she is in hearing?!?'

Yes boss, my first thought was to pick up the phone and shreik

"ELECTRONIC SHIT IS WHERE IT'S AT MICHELLE DARLING!!! START LOOKING FORWARD AND STOP LOOKING BACK!!!!"

But she wouldn't have listened...


Well, I would have left it there, but as you know, I'm currently pretending to be a music writer and in the execution of this there job, I try to be open minded and diverse in my taste and in the acts I review...

So in the interests of 'making an effort' equality and promoting musical journalistic freedom, I decided to giveThe Clientelle's myspace page a listen and here's a brief review of my thoughts.. .


So, the first thing that hit me with this band is that they're from Hampshire in the South Of England.

Yes boss, though of manly Italian stock, I'm from Hampshire and aside from Craig David (I went to school with Craig), The Artful Dodger and the drummer from Coldplay (I refuse to put a link in for them) I'm not aware of any famous music or musicians coming from Hampshire at all..

No boss, Hampshire is about as famous for music as I am for using tact in dealings with my ex-wife...

However, because I love the old county, I was preparred to cut The Clientele some slack and may be even apply them with a headstart - a dash of favouritism in honour of my home - why the hell not???


So, I tried this and I've now heard them a good few times and I can immediately see why my dear Michelle has gone for them..

Yes boss, a band like The Clientelle ticks all of her anglophile sweet boxes: Foppish boys, sweet choruses about love and women being the centre of the world, nice tunes, not too experimental, difficult or challenging - you get the picture....


Of course the downside to this is that The Clientelle tick all the boxes that irritate me..

Yes boss, this band aren't bad at what they do - in fact they're very good at it. But for me they're way too retro and not nearly manly enough.

Sure, they have a 60's pop sensibility - but as I often tell my ex-wife,

'IT'S FRIGGIN WELL 2007, NOT 1964!!!' Where are the synthesizers? Where's the clever use of computer technology and sonic juice james development? And where are the brutal raps about Bow E3 and the vocalists brave efforts to retail fake bags of crack??


Honest to gods, I really want to like theses boys, I DO! I DO! I DO!!! They're my homeboys, they've been used on a Hollywood film (probably a love story), my ex-wife adores them, they're keen, they love what they're doing, they're good clean boys that'll make and break a thousand hearts....

But as with my feelings for Michelle, The Clientelle are too much in the past and that ain't good enough for me...

So sorry, but The Clientele haven't blown my skirt up....


What do you want me to do, lie??




Currently listening :
God Save the Clientele
By The Clientele
Release date: By 08 May, 2007

23:13 - 23 Comments - 8 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

MollyCoddle

Hahahhaahahahahaa...

Oh, and which part of 'Italy' is Hampshire in exactly?!

Posted by MollyCoddle on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 00:58
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

My heritrage is Italian. My mother was born in Venice and my Uncle had a Barber Shop just a stones throw from the Rialto Bridge..
I was born in Winchester, Hampshire

PS: The Midwife was Italian, My mother insisted on that...

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 01:02
[Remove] [Reply to this]


MollyCoddle

Fabulous!!!!

Posted by MollyCoddle on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 01:05
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

Yes, I suppose I am...

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 01:07
[Remove] [Reply to this]


MollyCoddle

*leaves it right there*

Posted by MollyCoddle on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 01:19
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

What's with all these *stars*???
You some kind of proper internet geek who spends all their time in the virtual world??

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 01:27
[Remove] [Reply to this]


MollyCoddle

*yep*

Posted by MollyCoddle on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 01:28
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

oh dear!!!

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 01:45
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Edi

On MySpace, The Clientele label themselves "Indie/Psychedelic/Pop". I gave all four posted songs a try and couldn't stand three of them after just a few bars. The only one that draw my attention was "Nothing but Sunshine". This lasted a bit longer for me. Until I realized I liked the original more, which also has somewhat better vocals. I think the original is called "When the Sour Turns to Sweet: and can be found on Genesis' debut LP - "From Genesis to Revelation".

I too used to be annoyed by the repetitive listening habits of an ex-partner like seven years ago. And this even though the listened music spanned from Francis Cabrel to Gustav Mahler.

"Coldplay (I refuse to put a link in for them)"

Is Gwyneth Paltrow on MySpace?

Posted by Edi on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 01:26
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

I have all sorts of dark sexual fantasies involving Gwynnie that I'm not preparred to share here and now.
I bet she had loads of fake myspazzs, but had them shut down to protect her privacy.
She's a prissy bitch that one. I'd like to see her in Jail next...

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 01:32
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Paloma Pirate

So are you saying that you are honest? So, 2 kudos for honesty. Is one kudos really a kudo? Though, I think I am going to LIKE the Clientele, based on my fondness for thin pale looking geeks (preferably Brits -- did you read my blogger blog today???). ;P

Posted by Paloma Pirate on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 01:28
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

Not you as well...
I think it's a maternal thing. You want to take the poor boys in and give 'em a bowl of soup, that's it isn't it!!
I'll read the blogger blog now. have we linked our blogger blogs???

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 01:34
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Paloma Pirate

uh yeah. but i think maybe it was when we met on my other non professional myspazz identity...

Posted by Paloma Pirate on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 01:50
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

Yep, we're linked up...

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 02:05
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Paloma Pirate

they are just smart enough to tell us what we want to hear...

Posted by Paloma Pirate on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 01:36
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

I like to tell women and for that matter men what they don't want to hear if at all possible..
(Provided I can type it rather than say it to their face...)
(And provided they're not bigger than me)
(And provided I don't want to sleep with them...)

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 01:41
[Remove] [Reply to this]


michelle

(SOUND OF A VERY LOUD GASP)

PG!!!!

you creative lying cunt! mystalking my profile song DOES NOT count as me telling you that the clientele are fucking fantastic. maybe if you pulled that synth out of your ass, stopped fucking around with pro-tools & got that shitty new voice recognition laptop of yours to work, you'd be able to spend your time on something a little more productive then spreading your infectious lies like the clap.

quite frankly, i'm surprised by your reaction to the clientele as last i checked you were more into foppish boys then i ever have been.

Posted by michelle on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 18:59
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

Don't lie. I've still got the message you sent me in my inbox advising me to check that band out...
And how can I be mystalking you when it's you reading MY blogs??

You love this band!! And you love this kind of retro shoe boy action...

And as for that last line, well, you always had a very vivid imagination...

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 19:32
[Remove] [Reply to this]


michelle

you have no such thing in your inbox & even if you did it would be nothing more then another one of your clever fabrications.

this is the problem with the creative types- aside from being magnificent LIARS, they are also very self obsessed. in general, i would advise people to steer quite clear of them as they are a nightmare to both friends & lovers.

my vivid imagination has nothing to do with your "curiosities"...

Posted by michelle on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 20:32
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

Well, for one: 'types' don't exist...

And for two: If there's one business more populated by fakes, hypocrites and LIARS than the music business it's the fashion business...And what business do you work in???

??????

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 20:58
[Remove] [Reply to this]


michelle

well... that's a bit below the belt- you know how hard i've worked to get to where i am PG.

look... all this back & forth isn't solving anything. why don't we just agree to disagree on this point for now, huh?

and "types" do so exist...

Posted by michelle on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 21:55
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

No 'types' don't exist..

But yes let's agree to disagree on this and all other outstanding matters for 9432 time and leave this blog in peace..

Call me...)

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 22:02
[Remove] [Reply to this]


michelle

you drive me crazy.
maddening.
really.
i'll call you when i get home.

and they do so exist.
and although i don't think the clientele is the best band in the world, i still like them.

Posted by michelle on Thursday, June 14, 2007 at 01:17
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: