Tuesday 26 June 2007

5 EXCELLENT REMIXES / COVER VERSIONS


Current mood: COVERED
Category: COVERED Music



I've said it before and I'll say it again: I love a good cover version and on the few occasions a remix is executed well - well - it can be a liberation...

So here with go with not my top 5, but 5 I like a great deal....

Most of these are pretty scarce, and I'm imagining most won't mean much to most of you. By clicking the titles you can hear more

1. TAKE ME OUT - BY FRANZ FERDINAND REMIXED BY DAFT PUNK

I've got history with Franz Ferdinand from when I was in that first house at the top of Fashion Street on Brick Lane. Basically the best friend of one of my housemates was being a groupie and trying to marry a rockstar. She succeded. She's married to the drummer of Franz Ferdinand and in the months before they were signed by Domino we saw a bit of Paul and occasionally the other band members..

I can't say I'm a fan. I saw a very early gig in an Arts Centre on Commercial St and was unimpressed. I remember giving the Bass player a 'YOU'LL NEVER MAKE IT!!!' look as he deposited a handful of badges on the table...

On another occasion, Drummer Paul was sitting in our kitchen going on about how Britain needed a new British Band!! I was concentrating on frying the eggs and wasn't particularly impressed by his speach. In fact if I had a tenner for each time I heard that said in my kitchen I'd be very rich indeed..

Well shit, as is obvious, they both proved me to be a fool and I can't help but begrudge them their success. Much like the Arctic Monkeys, I felt FF were universally feted without doing too much to warrant it. I mean in their peak they were loitering in corridors with Paul McCartney, Kanye West and Bowie and if a biography is to be believed front man Alex was throwing Kate Moss out of his dressing room because he wanted to 'work'

It was a strange house for rhythm sections was that one. A girl who for some months slept on the floor and in the corridor is now married to the drummer of The Magic Numbers..

My ex-wife tells me that drummers have huge cocks - she should know..

Anyway, I find this remix completely and utterly exhilirating. It's very simple, but superbly executed and always brings a huge smile to my normally sad face...


2.
WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD - SUNG BY MIKE REID

Yep. This is Mike Reid aka Frank Butcher from Eastenders. This would be one of my favourite songs of all time and I have many versions of it. This is the one that makes me smile the most...


3.
RAINDROPS KEEP FALLING ON MY HEAD - VERSION P DOWNSIZER

After resisting the temptation on my other top 5s to include any of my own 'work' I've thrown the boat out this time and included 2 on this one...

The first is this version of Raindrops. Sums it up completely as far as I'm concerned...


4.
HIT ME BABY ONE MORE TIME - PERFORMED BY THE CLUB RICHEY ALLSTARS

This was the easiest track I've ever made. I pressed record and stop and The Club Richey Allstars did the rest.


5.
COMFORTABLY NUMB - THE SCISSOR SISTERS

You must know this one. It took me a while to work out what this was, but when i did, I whooped with complete delight...


Currently listening :
Sound of Silver
By LCD Soundsystem
Release date: By 20 March, 2007

17:32 - 10 Comments - 6 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

michelle

it's true. they do. i think if you have a gigantic cock you are forced to play the drums. it's like a third drumstick.

Posted by michelle on Friday, June 22, 2007 at 19:11
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

You really are a charmer aren't you???

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Friday, June 22, 2007 at 19:32
[Remove] [Reply to this]


michelle

i charmed your pants off once or twice...

Posted by michelle on Friday, June 22, 2007 at 20:09
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

That's not hard...

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Friday, June 22, 2007 at 20:28
[Remove] [Reply to this]


michelle

you're right... it wasn't.

Posted by michelle on Friday, June 22, 2007 at 20:34
[Remove] [Reply to this]


piratepods

when paloma and mJ come over for their stay at the givannie hotel...ask them to sing you a few covers...you will be amazed...these 2 are going to rock it BIG time.

Posted by piratepods on Friday, June 22, 2007 at 22:25
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

OK....You can sing, but only in harmonies....

Untuneful or discordant shouting will not be permitted!

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Friday, June 22, 2007 at 23:18
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Paloma Pirate

i am not responsible for any comments that those piratepods post!!

Posted by Paloma Pirate on Saturday, June 23, 2007 at 03:06
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

You're the boss...You should be ruling with an iron fist!!!!

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Saturday, June 23, 2007 at 08:35
[Remove] [Reply to this]


michelle

oh- and you forgot "heartbeats" by jose gonzales, originally by the knife.... or is it the other way around? either way- both songs are excellent.

Posted by michelle on Saturday, June 23, 2007 at 18:55
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: