Thursday 26 April 2007

THIS WEEKS FRIGGIN HITS :::: 3 FREE SUPERSTAR DJ MIXES


Current mood: RALLENTANDO
Category: RALLENTANDO Music

LEGAL NOTICE:
(if anyone BBC/artist/record company wise thinks i'm doing naughtiness by promoting these acts AND MIXES, please write me a message as to why and how rather than starting a vicious war of which they'll only be one winner...)


Well Jesus, it's my birthday tomorrow. I'm gonna be 32 which is 23 the wrong way around and i'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, so i'm celebrating by giving away a whole bunch of sound that doesn't belong to me and this garilous generosity starts here with 3 of my favourite DJ mixes...

Of course though genuine, my magnaminousness isn't unboundless and i'm gonna make you read a couple of relative annecdotes before revealing where you can access the merchandise, so strap yourself in, don't cheat and scroll down the page for the links and here we damn well go..

The first mix is one of the nicest, most distinct and biggest ballsy mixes i've ever heard and expect to hear full stop, let alone on UK national radio..

It's by Mr Chilly Gonzales and was originally broadcast back in 2002 on Mary Anne Hobbs Breezeblock.

Now, for the uninitiated, The Breezeblock is a weekly mix slot where experimental electonic/dance types put out a DJ mix on BBC Radio 1. I've found these mixes vary from the predicatable to the mostly predictable. Yes boss, I've heard few suprises on this show and though many are excellent regardless of this lack of a blind side, this one by Mr G is from another planet because it has it..

I won't say much more except to recommend it as essential listening. You may love or hate it. I love it...Download it by clicking HERE and send all your comments and love to Mr G...

Before we get onto number 2, I've got a little annecdote concerning Mr Chilly Gonzales.

Before i went to live in a caravan in the middle of nature, I was living in Prague for a few months and before that I spent 3 years in Norwich at art school...

It was mostly a waste of time, other than that I managed to knock out a fair bit of creative work to absolutely no reception whatsoever...

Anyway, later on, I was living in the caravan and was wondering what the hell to do next. I mean i had everything on a plate: I owned the caravan (well the banks owned it but they didn't know where it or I was) I was surrounded by the UKs finest nature reserves and the sea and my living expenses were more or less irrelevant...

Well, I ended up working in a nuclear power station for 6 weeks, made 2 and a half grand, moved to London, sold the caravan and bankrupted myself properly...

Why? Well i don't honestly know, except that I had a few pals I'd met in Norwich who were living la vida loca in London and i was getting a little bored of heaven. Two of these folk had a pad in Leiscester Square. They were subletting from a man called Murray who together with another called Philip spent all their time gambling and drinking for a living...It sounded like my sort of thing, so i moved in and started working on my own ruin.

Now, I don't see any of these people anymore. A whole bunch of luminaries sharing a kitchen doesn't always work out for the best, but they were all good times and great people none the less and it was through them and that wierd time that i found out about
Chilly Gonzales..

Yes, a friend of these firends was at the time working as a stripper and she appeared to be on some kind of mission to marry a rockstar. She suceeded. She's now married to the drummer form Franz Ferdinand, but before this day she sailed past Mr Gonzales in the night...

I remember her talking about him in the kitchen as the mice scurried around the cupboards. She said she'd been to The Eden Project in Cornwall for a gig with him and about how Jarvis Cocker had told Mr G he was good and how she'd reflected in the glory...

Well, i didn't much like the girl in question and I felt certain i wouldn't like Mr Gonzales, but whereas I have very little time for FF I love Chilly G more and more by the day...


OK, the other 2 mixes are pretty much polar opposites to the former.

I've heard a lot about New Rave of late, but at this point in time I see it as little more than some kind of horseshit fake trauma that is selling the kids of today shorter than a dwarf...

I mean, I well understand these youngsters needing to be educated about the power and style of electronic music after suffering that seemingly endless plague of bands called 'The ++++", but New Rave is just Indie Pop fashion shit with no real soul, substance, energy or power..

So, if you, like me, missed Rave the first time around, I'd seriously urge you not to listen to The Klaxons and attend 'raves' in disused (but kind of like used, as in for raves and like but it is legal, so it isn't legal) warehouses in Boreditch. No...Get yourself down to Bangface or listen to mixes like these by DJ Scud...

MIX 1 MIX 2

Sure these are perhaps a touch heavy, dark and a little less euphoric than a 1987 party in a field, but they have more of the energy, power and verve of what i believe to be rave than the NME will ever understand..

OK..

23 32 23 32 23 32 23 2 3 3 3 2 3 2 3 2 3 2232 23 3



Currently listening :
Ambush!
By DJ Scud
Release date: By 08 April, 2003

13:33 - 6 Comments - 4 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Hijackalope

i suggest you listen to butthole surfers' 22 going on 23

Posted by Hijackalope on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 at 17:43
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Paul Giovanni

I'm on it....

Posted by Paul Giovanni on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 at 18:13
[Remove] [Reply to this]


stephen

be careful, that butthole surfers shit'll fuck you up. i mean it.

i spent much i my youth listening to 'locust abortion technician' and it really will hurt you. you'll have great times, smoke a lot of pot, lose perspective and end up not being able to remember much of it.

you have been warned.

p.s. the album sounds better now that i'm older and off the devil weed.

Posted by stephen on Thursday, April 26, 2007 at 01:00
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Paul Giovanni

I've listened to it and am not sure i feel so comfrotable showing myself off now....I've always steered clear of this band..I think they may be dangerous..

Posted by Paul Giovanni on Thursday, April 26, 2007 at 01:03
[Remove] [Reply to this]


stephen

oh, they are. especially everything before 'independent worm saloon' (poop album, as is everything after)... try 'hairway to steven' on for size or 'rembrandt pussyhorse'.

btw your new profile pic is eerily reminiscent of the first butthole surfers ep:

you



butthole surfers

Posted by stephen on Thursday, April 26, 2007 at 07:12
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Paul Giovanni

Take another look at these two pictures...I think you'll find my little thing is about 1 cm longer..

Posted by Paul Giovanni on Thursday, April 26, 2007 at 10:35
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: