Tuesday 3 April 2007

GIG REVIEW ::: THEY CAME FROM THE STARS, I SAW THEM : LA COUTEAU JAUNE : CURSOR MINER



(A version of this will also appear soon on
www.frinkmusic.com)


I got to the Shoreditch nightmare that is the 333 early. I have a habit of doing this. Of course I should know that gigs never start on time, that bands are always late, that promoters are disorganised, that nothing is ever as it should be, but I haven't yet understood and I hate the idea that I might miss something so I go early..

Thing was, I knew the 'stars' were playing at 10 and I figured they must be headlining, so I figured getting there for 8.30pm should be in time for the first band with no fucking about drinking away my shyness until I can't talk at all…

Well, I forgot that the 333 is a club and I didn't figure that somehow the stars were opening. So, I had a half hour to kill before I could even get in, so I went to The Foundry.

The conversations I've had with strangers in The Foundry are second to none. I met one bloke who was some kind of computer programmer and he just talked complete and beautiful nonsense for a couple of hours. He was playing me and winning. I didn't know whether to run away or pay him money to keep going..

This time I found some bloke making loops with his mouth and then doing mouth sounds on top. On one track he had a tube and a bunch of ping pong balls in his cheeks and he sucked and blew them up and down the tube whilst making rhythmic noises….

When he was done, I got back to the 333.

Unlike 'Ping Pong' man, the bouncer is straight faced. He says that I won't be able to wear my yellow baseball cap inside. He's not joking. What does he think it is a bomb?? Or are bouncers the new policemen of style??

Fuck that anyway, it's the 333. It's Shoreditch many things don't make sense…

What's important is that 'they came form the stars I saw them' are one of the most original, energetic, fun and exciting bands around at this point in time and after a tricky performance a week previously, they got proceedings underway at the 333 with consummate skill. The equipment behaved, the stress and tension was nowhere to be seen and the crowd was at it's peak...

So what do the 'stars' sound like? Like electric, gospel disco music, with noise and fireworks, ritual, pop bells, show and visual splendor …

Peachy in other words…Go check theirspace and join the clamour for them to have a residency at the Royal Albert Hall..

If you're weird and 'they came from the stars I saw them' don't float your boat, I shouldn't bother to engage with La Couteau Jaune. LCJ are as much performance art as music. In fact I barely remember there being sound or if there was, what it was, or how it worked, such was the incredible visual impact of the show….

I do remember snarling Northern Irishman Ian Paisley was a guest vocalist. There was silly string and keyboards crashing to the ground. There was smiling and a big tin foil box with the front man in. It was hardcore, I mean I was catatonically drunk by this point and my memory is scant, but it was hugely visual and fun, but powerful and sharp all the same…

I loved them..

And so to the headliner…

I have an EP of Cursor Miner from maybe 2000 or 2001. I don't remember much about it other than there being one really grinding and blastingly excellent dance track that had the kind of energy most normally found on powerlines. This is what Mr Miner gave the audience for an hour straight.

It was a double loud and bass heavy super techno breaking music to melt you down. Excellent!!! And as if this weren't enough, Mr Miner owns the best shirt I've seen in years

So 3 out of 3 rocked the block off.

100%, Bravo!!!



No comments: