Friday 16 March 2007

THIS WEEKS HITS – WEEK ENDING 16TH MARCH 2007

Blimey...

This year started quick and it's getting quicker and no matter what's happening there's plenty...So here we go with this weeks (late) hits.


NEW STUFF

Only two new acts have marked my card this week...This isn't through a lack of listening, so much as a lack of finding any good new acts. What I mean is Myspace is always hit and miss and this week has mostly been misses with the excpetion of....

I like
Bishi simply because I've heard nothing quite like it and even though i'm not even sure I'm a fan, it's stayed in my head. It's a kind of sitar electronic pop music. It's neat, very well put together and I recommend you check it out and see what you think...

Tim Fite is a different kettle altogether. The thing that grabbed me here was that the man can rap and sing in the same song without it sounding crap. This is a feat - I mean how many people have done that? You get different people doing the both in the same song but never the same person doing both...My favourite track here is I've Been Shot


STAPLES

It's been a good week for staples. I spent 36 hours in a laboratory being experimented on by the UN of doctors....It's nothing to worry about, just a little medical research into drugs that open up the broncioles: I get paid a vast sum of money for lying around listening to music and the Glaxo get a new drug to sell at vastly inflated prices to hospitals, professional sportsmen etc...

Anyway, 36 hours away from the winternet meant I had to survive on my laptop and the tracks on it haven't been updated for about a year...

So what do I listen to when you are being made ill by doctors to see if other people can get better? Well, I found electronica to be the best medicine. The last thing I wanted to hear in such a scenario was peoples voices swooning on about love or anything like that, it would have made me jump out of a window and scream at God. No, just the the splitter splatter of beats and rankor noises was good enough for me.

So, things like:

Chris Clark (now known as Clark)
Aphex Twin - Druqks (they went down very well)
Tipper (me hat)
Electric Company (keep bothering me about the bill



LIVE

I attended two spoken word nights this week.

The first was
Pull Up A Chair hosted at The Victoria in Mornington Crescent. This is a brand new night hosted in a wonderful upstairs of a splendid pub. The performances were all spoken word interspersed with a few annimations by a company called Slinky (who I've since noticed were responsible for some of the animations on the wonderful Nathan Barley)
The fact there wasn't a huge turnout didn't spoil it for me. The acts were all good as were the films. Get yourself along to the next one on the 25th of this month...

The second night was more musical and should have been headlined by the mighty
Dan Le Sac & Scroobius Pip. As it turned out they were on at about 9pm. I can understand the schedule being the way it was because of the physical size of the bands, but for my money the Pipsters should have been headlining because they were clearly the biggest draw..A full review of the gig is gonna be about some time later tonight.


LABELS


Hefty looks like an interesting set up. I've only had a chance to listen to the 4 tracks on the myspace player, but i had at least some regard for each of them, particularly the one by RADICALFASHION. It's an electonica label and is worth looking at if you like that sort of thing...A full report will follow..


MIXES

I've two to recommend. The first is the very same one I was gushing about last week. It's by Kid Twist, it's called 'The Nights are Cold'
is available from his myspace page and it almost made me cry. I was getting all emotional and worked up about things (probablly due to having all my day to daily drugs (caffeine, alcohol, fun) taken away by Glaxo). Regardless, it was the perfect soundtrack for an emotional moment and what more can you want from a mix than that??

The other is a DJ Scud mix. I have no idea what it's called or where you can donwload it from, but I'll work on that and post the details shortly...What's more, if i can't find a good source, I'll upload it myself somewhere and risk the wrath of 'The Scud'.

As for it's content, I'll say nothing more than it's the finest and most quick and beastly energetic mix I've ever heard. It also sounds like my brain when things get busy...

Have a good week..
pg :@)

No comments: