Thursday 1 March 2007

REVIEW: BRYAN FERRY AND MAXIMO PARK @ THE CULTURE SHOW

After taking 2 weeks away working on other projects, I returned to the audience of the Culture Show to see Bryan Ferry and Maximo Park play one song apiece...


I didn't and still don't know anything much about either.

Obviously Ferry was and is now back in Roxy Music and he almost married Jerry Hall, but his and Roxys music has never come my way previously. Meanwhile, Maximo Park have always struck me as band to avoid – In short and rather mean terms, a nothing band that will be as forgotten in 30 years time as will be the MS Napoli running adrift on the shores of Dorset and shedding it's cargo…

Ferry was first on and he was pretty much as I expected: aloof and distant, yet polite and composed. He wandered around with his head in the clouds, in his world,

thinking……

He performed his piece well 3 times for the cameras and then wandered off with his head still in the clouds, not really connecting with anyone much as far as I could make out - at least on any kind of emotional level. Regardless I felt I liked him and the tune he did was decently performed, though most interesting for the guitar work and the lyrics, written by Bob Dylan.

Maximo Park were much as I expected: Lovely boys, playing to their honest best but producing absolutely nothing remarkable or exciting. I'm willing to bet that they have lots of friends and a canny sense of humour, but they didn't touch me at all.

So, there we go: One of the briefest and certainly one of the more dour reviews I've done thus far..

To do your own, watch the BBC 2s The Culture Show this Saturday

No comments: