Wednesday 21 February 2007

THIS WEEKS HITS – WEEK MIDDLING 22 FEB 2007

Plenty of good stuff spinning about this week.

The best new thing this week is probably Konono No1
This is African music like I've not heard before, rhythmic, yet dissonant, energetic and chaotic, new and old etc. Hotly recommended!!

Meanwhile, I never tire of Tall Pony's I'm Your Boyfriend Now

For that matter it's been a horsy week. Vote Show Pony's pleased me this week with a fantastically smooth Kate Bush like vocal. This really shouldn't work on account of Kate Bush being uncopiable but it does and part of the reason why it does is because it's backed up with some thorough and neat pop programming, which I reckon could see them go far.

I'm also enjoying the Rubies who combine bright vocals with some great melodies and inspired and simple electronic implants. Very soothing..

Punk Bunny are interesting, but though I started the week dead keen on them, I'm cooling as the week goes on.

As far as staples go, I've been enjoying plenty of Herbie Hancock
If ever there was an argument for quality coming through it would be fully illustrated by Herbie Hancocks career. The breadth and depth of his material is enormous and it's so smooth and natural sounding, whilst still retaining a complete free will of experimentation and adaptation to the times. Albums to be going on with would be Lite Me Up, Soundsystem & Monster

Also, still loving Dykehouse's Midrange A fantsatic slice of spring inspiring music that grows and grows with stature with each play

My last big favourite of the week has been Of Montreal Though I've been aware of this lot for a while, I've never really listened to much until now and am pleased to report that this is pure class. Great simple lyrics & great melodies. Of Montreal do everything the Arctic Monkeys are supposed to be good at, but they do it ten times better

No comments: