Saturday 24 February 2007

ALBUM REVIEW: WHITE MAGIC - DAT ROSA MEL APIBUS

High Wave, Rolling On Sea British Indian Ocean Territory

The first time I listened to White Magics Dat Rosa Mel Apibus I completely hated it. Contrary to it’s good intentions, I felt it sounded like a bad mixture of Nico, The Jefferson Airplane and a bunch of Navajo Indians, making musica around a damp campfire that had, unbeknownst to any of the above, gone out somewhere around 1969…

Music is however a complicated being and it shouldn’t be judged on one airing. So in the interests of freedom, fairness and musical democracy I played this record again, and again and again…And now, 19 or 20 plays later things have changed.

Yes boss, with each fresh play, I find I like the strident and simple piano lines more and more. I also like the flatness of the voice and the way this voice dovetails into the sounds and then back out again like some kind of weird sonic mutation. Shit, some of the lyrics are even drawing me in to a degree where I have to replay tracks and try and suss out their specific meaning….

But isn’t this just the problem with judging music??

No comments: